Tags : 上海夜网CF

first_img The walkout left the squad five players short for their quarter-final against Haiti, which they eventually won 1-0. Asked about the possible backlash from players who believe he was a letdown, Schäfer said Powell must first approach the JFF and signal his intentions to return, then meet with the players. “When he wants to play in the national team, he must make the first step, I won’t go to Portland and ask him to come back,” Schäfer emphasised. “Before we send the invitation, he has to talk, he has to talk with the players. I want him to talk to the team. He has to talk to the players, his team, his team first. “What is important is the team. The best team is when you have the best bench.” At the time when Powell walked out, Schäfer had said he would not take him back. Now, the coach has said he likes the player and does not want the country to turn against him. “I think he doesn’t know what is the next step,” said Schäfer, as he explained the public’s reaction. “I don’t want him to have a problem in his country, I know the people are very proud. “I don’t think it’s his decision, he’s too young and does not think 100 per cent with his head,” Schäfer added, noting that he provided personal assistance in developing the player both here and by travelling to his Major League Soccer club, Portland Timbers, where he spoke with the team’s head coach there about ways to help him, and now he is a starting player. “Alvas is a young player – 20 years. I like him very much. I helped him two years at Portland and in matches. In training he was better. “We’ve to be more professional. This boy has to learn professional thinking in his head. A team is not 11 players, it’s the entire squad.” Schäfer said the player should have been advised better by his agent, former Jamaica striker, Damani Ralph, who has been to several of the Gold Cup matches and has other players in the Jamaica squad on his roster. “His manager must tell him ‘Alvas you can’t go’. His manager must give him better advice,” the German said. “Jamaica needed him at the tournament. Alvas probably didn’t know. His manager is to tell him that. “First, my player is important, not my money,” Schäfer said that should be the agent’s approach, noting a policy he will look to implement going forward. “When we have a tournament, I don’t want to see a manager of a player in the hotel or the room.” ALVAS POWELL has been handed a chance to return to Jamaica’s men’s senior national football team. “The door is not closed,” said Winfried Schäfer, head coach of the Reggae Boyz, in an interview with Jamaican journalists at the Miami International Airport on Monday evening, as the team made its way home from the CONCACAF Gold Cup. Powell walked away from the team after Jamaica won its group with maximum seven of nine points in Toronto, in July. The player had been threatening to walk out before the match they won 1-0 against El Salvador in Canada, then made the move the morning they were departing for their quarter-final match in Baltimore. “I want to help him. This boy is very, very young, I don’t want this boy’s career to go down,” Schäfer noted of the 20-year-old. In making his decision, Powell defied the efforts of management, coaching staff and teammates, who tried to convince him to stay. “I think he has one problem: He doesn’t listen to people who want to help him. He made a big mistake,” Schäfer said. Powell had actually played against El Salvador as a substitute, and in that game, central defender Jermaine Taylor and goalkeeper Dwayne Miller picked up what turned out to be tournament-ending injuries, while midfielder Je-Vaughn Watson and striker Darren Mattocks were both sent off. possible backlashlast_img read more

first_imgSoccer bosses will investigate claims that racist taunts were made against a young African boy at Swilly Park in Ramelton on Saturday last.The alleged incident happened at Swilly Park in Ramelton.The Schoolboys Football Association of Ireland will launch the inquiry into the behaviour of some fans at the Under 15 cup game between Swilly Rovers and Castlebar Celtic.Allegations have been made that disgusting monkey chants were made towards a 14 year old African-born boy playing for Castlebar. The incident is included in the referee’s report.The referee stopped the game momentarily and warned the small section of fans making the noises to stop.A number of prominent members of the Donegal Schoolboy League were also at the game.Swilly Rovers have so far not made an official comment on the alleged incident. The game was covered in the local media but the issue of the alleged racist taunts was not reported until earlier today.Schools FAI general secretary Martin O’Hanlon confirmed that the association is investigating the sickening incident.“We take something like this very seriously, but short of making an assessment, I can’t say anything. We have an allegation of racist taunting,” he said.The organisation is awaiting the referee’s report on the incident.“We have spoken to football people, not the boy, people have rang us about it,” said Mr O’Hanlon. The teenager’s coach has said there were very clear monkey chants coming from one section of the crowd “every time he touched the ball”.Swilly Rovers eventually won the game 2-1 after extra-time.SWILLY ROVERS TO BE INVESTIGATED AFTER RACIST TAUNTS CLAIM was last modified: March 5th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:RACIST TAUNTSRameltonSFAISWILLY PARKswilly roverslast_img read more

first_img Top Stories It’s not easy watching someone else do a job that you once had, but that’s exactly what happened to Arizona Cardinals right tackle Bobby Massie last season. After Massie started every game during his rookie campaign in 2012, the Cardinals brought in Eric Winston, who beat him out at right tackle in 2013.“This is my spot,” Massie told reporters before training camp on Monday. “I’m not giving it up and letting anybody take it. I’m tired of sitting on the bench and watching the game on the sidelines, so it’s my year to shine.” Derrick Hall satisfied with D-backs’ buying and selling Grace expects Greinke trade to have emotional impact 0 Comments   Share   center_img Former Cardinals kicker Phil Dawson retires The 5: Takeaways from the Coyotes’ introduction of Alex Meruelo The Cardinals fourth-round draft pick in 2012, Massie is a specimen at 6-foot-6 and 316 pounds. Cardinals general manager Steve Keim believes the Lynchburg, Virginia, native has what it takes to succeed.“He’s got all the physical tools,” Keim told Doug and Wolf Monday morning on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. “There aren’t many right tackles who have his feet.”Massie will need that quickness if he’s going to protect Carson Palmer from the likes of Robert Quinn or Michael Bennett this season. It’s a responsibility that the former Ole Miss Rebel takes very seriously, and he knows he still has parts of his game that need work if he’s going to succeed at the highest level.“The only thing that’s held me back since I’ve been here is the mental errors,” Massie said. “I’ve got the ability to be one of the top tackles in this league; I’ve got to show that.” – / 32last_img read more