Tags : 中州论坛

first_imgTo better sustain Georgia’s future peanut production, a University of Georgia peanut entomologist is surveying Georgia farmers.Notifications about the online survey were mailed directly to the more than 3,500 peanut producers in Georgia. The survey can be accessed online through a link on the Georgia Peanut Commission’s website at www.gapeanuts.com. “Insects, while not a huge problem every year like they were in 2014, can cause significant economic losses each year,” said UGA peanut entomologist Mark Abney. “The more information that researchers and Extension specialists at the University of Georgia have regarding the major pest problems growers face, the better off we are.”By knowing which pests growers are most concerned about, the standard practices growers use to control pests, and how well those control methods work, scientists like Abney can more effectively develop research and Extension programs to address the key questions and problems farmers face. Abney said the survey should take 5-to-15 minutes to complete. It features questions about insect pressure, production practices that can influence pest populations and pest management practices used on individual farms.“It’s very important for us to have that kind of information. For example, if only 10 percent of the peanuts in Georgia are being scouted, we need to know that when we write grants and ask for funding for Extension work to educate growers about the importance of scouting their peanuts. Being able to document IPM practices such as scouting is very important,” Abney said. Along with questions related directly to insects, the survey includes questions about production practices such as tillage and irrigation that can impact pest populations indirectly. The effects of tillage and irrigation on burrower bug populations are also included on the survey.Farmers who complete the survey will help Abney and his UGA colleagues understand what research and Extension work needs to be done and help them map patterns in pest activity across the state.“The data we gather from this survey will help us better understand what practices contribute to the risk of insect damage. There are only so many trials that can be conducted at the university each year, and not all pests will occur in our research plots,” he said. “Everyone is very busy this time of year, and we appreciate growers taking the time to complete the survey.”As an added incentive, every person who responds to the survey can enter to win a Stihl MS291 chainsaw. The drawing for the chainsaw will take place on June 30.last_img read more

first_imgGovernors Urge Federal Government to Increase LIHEAP Funding to $1Bfor New England StatesRequest Sharp Increase in Funds to Assist Most Vulnerable this WinterWaterbury, VT-At an energy summit held by the New England Governors’ Conference, Inc. (NEGC) July 9, Governor Jim Douglas and his regional counterparts urged the federal government to increase federal Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) funding to $1 billion for the New England states this winter.In a letter sent to President Bush, Congressional leadership, and Senators McCain and Obama, the governors illustrate that the requested funding, a sharp increase from last year’s federal budget, is desperately needed to support low-income families in the upcoming heating season. They note that since the winter of 2005-2006, the price of home heating oil in New England has jumped 87%, and natural gas prices have also risen steeply. In order to deliver the same amount of fuel to New England eligible households as LIHEAP provided in 2005-06, assuming a likely increase in the number of households that will apply for needed assistance, LIHEAP funding for New England states would need to be increased to $1 billion.”Many Vermont families-indeed, many New England families-rely on the heating assistance provided by the LIHEAP program, particularly in this time of soaring fuel prices,” said Governor Douglas. “No Vermonter should be cold in his or her home this winter, or any winter. Through my new Food and Fuel Partnership, my administration is marshalling all our state’s resources to ensure all Vermonters are able to weather the perfect storm of rising food, fuel and transportation prices.”Thanks to the financial commitments made by Governor Douglas and the Vermont legislature, last year Vermont provided the most generous LIHEAP benefit in the country, averaging approximately $1169 per household, with approximately 23,000 households served.”Ensuring that the LIHEAP program remains strong for the many families it serves is a key component of the Governor’s Food and Fuel Partnership,” said Agency of Human Services Secretary Cynthia D. LaWare. “With so many Vermont and New England residents facing the very real prospect of being unable to heat their homes this winter, we need unwavering support from our federal partners in addition to the state’s efforts to ensure our most vulnerable families are able to keep their families warm.”The New England Governors further noted that all of their states are mobilizing resources to address the coming heating crisis, including establishing programs to replace inefficient furnaces, and significantly expanding the installation of insulation, programmable thermostats, thermal windows, weather stripping, and energy efficient appliances. However, these measures alone will not be enough to address the immediate needs of vulnerable families this winter.The NEGC also called on the federal government to take action to protect New England’s most vulnerable residents through a variety of other measures. These include significantly increasing funding for the federal Weatherization Program; increasing TANF block grants to allow for family supplemental payments for greater utility and heating costs; allowing Medicaid rules to cover increasing energy costs for programs and services that are provided in 24/7 facilities such as group homes and residential care and nursing facilities; and, increasing social services block grants to cover additional costs of transportation and energy for center-based care, such as child-care centers.The New England Governors’ Conference, Inc., is a non-partisan, non-profit corporation, and includes the Governors of Maine, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont. The NEGC coordinates regional policy programs in the areas of economic development, transportation, environment, energy, and health.#####last_img read more

first_img Jobs That Pay,  Press Release Dunmore, PA – Today, Governor Tom Wolf toured Gertrude Hawk Chocolates and participated in a roundtable discussion with employees focused on expanding manufacturing jobs in the commonwealth.“Gertrude Hawk Chocolates is a great Pennsylvania business success story,” said Governor Wolf. “Talking to businesses like Gertrude Hawk about how we can help them thrive is extremely important to helping the commonwealth set the table for robust private sector growth to create and retain good jobs while strengthening the middle class.”Gertrude Hawk Chocolates has had three manufacturing locations since 1936, all within a 10-mile radius of each other in Northeastern Pennsylvania, where the company’s signature Smidgens® have always been crafted.Governor Wolf’s budget continues to invest in 21st century manufacturing, workforce development and training programs while also implementing new safeguards to ensure taxpayer dollars for economic development projects are spent appropriately and intended outcomes are met.Governor Wolf plans to invest in job creation by:Partnering with the commonwealth’s research universities and Industrial Resource Centers to accelerate manufacturing technology advancement and adoption, foster manufacturing innovation and commercialization, and build a 21st century workforce.Creating a new apprenticeship grant program to ensure workers can receive training aligned to business workforce needs, funded with revenue recovered from companies that fail to live up to previous commitments made when they received state assistance.Investing $5 million in a manufacturing training-to-career grant program to partner with technical programs and community colleges to develop new training programs that align with their workforce needs.Founded in 1936, Gertrude Hawk Chocolates operates over 60 retail store locations located across Pennsylvania, New York, and New Jersey and a growing e-commerce website. SHARE Email Facebook Twitter On “Jobs that Pay” Tour Governor Wolf Visits Gertrude Hawk Chocolates, Discusses Manufacturingcenter_img June 02, 2017last_img read more

first_img That was something stressed last week by their manager Roberto Martinez. And Stones’ club-mate Steven Naismith has emphasised Everton are very much looking ahead to a future with the 21-year-old centre-back in the team. ”We definitely want him to stay – he is a fantastic guy and footballer, and a mainstay in our team,” forward Naismith told Press Association Sport on Tuesday. ”He has progressed rapidly in the last two years and we want him to continue that under the leadership of the manager (Martinez) and also (Stones’ Everton captain and fellow England centre-back) Phil Jagielka.” Then asked if Everton could cope with the loss should further bids lead to Stones’ departure, Naismith said: ”I think the club’s stance on it has been pretty straightforward and the manager is looking forward with Stonesey in the team. ”The manager has mentioned wanting to strengthen, and I don’t think anyone has ever thought about Stonesey moving on.” Martinez earlier this month said Stones had been affected by Chelsea’s interest, but he subsequently praised the player’s focus in Everton’s opening match of the season, a 2-2 Barclays Premier League home draw against Watford on August 8. And 28-year-old Scotland international Naismith added on Tuesday: ”John has gone about his business day-to-day in training in such a professional manner. Everton’s determination to retain John Stones appears only to have hardened in the face of Chelsea reportedly making a third bid for the defender. The Toffees, who rejected Chelsea’s pre-season offers of £20million and £26million for England international Stones, would not comment on reports on Tuesday they had turned down a fresh £30million bid from the London outfit. But Press Association Sport understands Everton’s stance on the matter has not changed – that Stones is not for sale. ”He has then taken that into the games, because he has been one of the stronger performers in the team since the start of the season.” Speaking about Stones last Thursday ahead of Saturday’s 3-0 win at Southampton, Martinez said: ”I have said before the player is not for sale and that is the end of it. ”He is very important player for us and we are looking forward to seeing the best of John over the next few seasons, not just the next few weeks.” Speculation of Chelsea returning for Stones has heightened after John Terry was substituted by Jose Mourinho for the first time in 177 Premier League games in Sunday’s 3-0 loss at Manchester City and it remains to be seen whether their pursuit of Stones continues. :: For a second year, Steven Naismith is donating tickets for Everton home matches to unemployed football fans throughout the season in an initiative with Jobcentreplus centres across Liverpool. Press Associationlast_img read more