A man who appeared to be in his 30s who claimed that he was only 16 years old was ordered by Magistrate Fabayo Azore to be mentally evaluated when he appeared before her on Tuesday charged for snatching a cellphone.Kareem McKenzie, of Lot 136 Kingston, Georgetown, denied that he robbed Andrew Robertson of the phone valued $35,000 on July 25, 2018 at South Ruimveldt. With an American accent, McKenzie told the Court that the charge against him has been fabricated. However, Police Prosecutor Simone Payne revealed that the Virtual Complainant (VC), who is known to the accused, reported that he snatched his phone and fled. The man, who previously appeared before Azore earlier this year charged for a similar offence, was for the second time ordered to be evaluated by Government Psychiatrist, Dr Bhiro Harry. He was remanded to prison. The case will continue on August 15, 2018. As the defendant was being escorted from Court, he threatened a Police Officer that he would “cuff” him in his face.
The Can’t Pay Won’t Pay group has called on Sinn Fein County Councillors and TDs to support a boycott of the Property Tax after the Council voted in favour of a Sinn Fein motion calling for a repeal of the tax.“If Sinn Fein is genuinely opposing the Property Tax, they will support the boycott campaign as the only effective way to stop this unfair tax” said Can’t Pay Won’t Pay spokesperson Micheál Cholm Mac Giolla Easbuig.“We are now challenging Sinn Fein’s TDs and Councillors to state whether or not they will pay the Property Tax themselves. After all Pearse Doherty and Padraig Mac Lochlainn had no difficulty in stating publicly that they would not pay Household Charge. Why the silence on the Property Tax?” “The feedback we get from Sinn Fein supporters is that they overwhelmingly back the boycott campaign. Indeed some of our best activists are members of Sinn Fein, but unfortunately the leadership of the party and it’s public representatives continue to disappoint them by refusing to support our campaign.”“Putting forward a motion in the Dail to repeal the tax, as Sinn Fein is planning, is doomed to to fail given the government’s huge majority. The real opposition to the government’s austerity agenda has come from the 600,000 across the state who refused to pay the Household Charge and from the people who will now refuse to pay Property Tax. The Sinn Fein leadership should support this magnificent movement instead of playing political games in the Dail.”“If they were prepared to do that it would give an enormous boost to the campaign. Many people who would like to join the boycott but are fearful of the consequences would gain the confidence not to pay as they had the outright support of half of all Donegal TD’s. They could deal a body blow to the Property Tax in Donegal which would be noticed across the state as it is already acknowledged that our county leads the way in terms of non-compliance of Household Tax and Septic Tank registration.”“We ask members and supporters of Sinn Fein to use whatever influence they have to get their party to change it’s stance and to finally back the boycott.” SINN FEIN TDs AND COUNCILLORS CHALLENGED ON PROPERTY TAX was last modified: April 17th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Can’t Pay Won’t PaySinn Fein
Teams took advantage of the ideal, sunny conditions Tuesday to post low scores across the board. The winning team from Norwalk Ready Mix of Scott Bohlender, Jim Brown, Eric Berkey and Tanner Weatherman claimed the team title with a score of 130. Eric Boehlert was the individual winner of the Classic for the second-straight year and third time overall with a score of 65 to earn the coveted Blue Jacket awarded to the low-score of the tournament. For the 11th time, Bulldog supporters enjoyed an afternoon of play at the lush Talons of Tuscany. The pristine course is owned by one of Drake’s biggest supporters, Mr. Dennis Albaugh. Mr. Albaugh generously allows the Drake athletics department the opportunity to host its annual golf tournament, which serves as one of the department’s biggest fundraisers. ANKENY, Iowa – The annual Drake Golf Classic was played under pristine blue skies at one of Iowa’s most exclusive golf courses, the Talons of Tuscany, in Ankeny, Iowa, Tuesday, June 12. For more information about the 2019 Drake Golf Classic at The Talons of Tuscany, contact Austin Strawhacker (email@example.com).Print Friendly Version
Red Bluff >> Track preparation has begun leading up to Saturday, Oct. 14 as once again the world of Outlaw Karts converge upon Tehama District Fairground as the best of the best will gather for the 38th annual Burris Tire Outlaw Kart Winter Series, brought to you by QRC.Saturday night inside Pauline Davis Pavilion will feature five classes of Beginner Box Stock, Box Stock, 250 Intermediate, Open and Sportsman classes. The 1/10-mile track, nicknamed the bull ring, has earned its reputation for …
South Africa is to intensify its anti-poaching strategy. (Image: WWF UK)Water and Environmental Affairs Minister Buyelwa Sonjica has announced the formation of a new special investigations team dedicated to the eradication of rhino poaching. This will help safeguard one of South Africa’s most enduring tourist attractions, its wildlife.The initiative could not have come sooner. Horrifying statistics show that since January 2009 84 rhino have been killed by poachers in provinces across South Africa. A breakdown reveals that the world-famous Kruger National Park is the country’s poaching hotspot, with KwaZulu-Natal’s rhino-rich nature reserves not far behind.The current poaching statistics are as follows:• Kruger National Park: 33• Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife: 19• Gauteng: 3• North West: 5• Limpopo: 7• Eastern Cape: 1• Mpumalanga: 16Sonjica made the announcement at a September 2009 meeting between herself, deputy environment minister Rejoice Mabudafhasi and various members of the executive council (MEC) from the provinces. The meeting was held to discuss new strategies to fight the recent spate of rhino deaths.The new unit is expected to tackle not only poaching, but other high-priority and organised environmental and conservation crimes. It forms part of an integrated anti-poaching strategy in which the Department of Environmental Affairs is working closely with all provinces where rhino are found.Experts hope that the unit will function in much the same way as the former Endangered Species Protection Unit of the South African Police Service. From 1989 until its disbandment in 2003 this elite unit was responsible for wildlife crime investigation and notched up great successes in its fight against international trade in endangered species.Coordinated effortsDuring the meeting the delegates discussed ways of supporting the anti-poaching initiatives of various conservation authorities around the country.The national parks authority, South African National Parks (Sanparks), is to lead a task team of conservation agencies from all provinces, with the aim of coordinating their efforts.Earlier in the year, as part of the integrated strategy, the Department of Environmental Affairs established a national biodiversity investigators’ forum in its Biodiversity and Conservation branch.This initiative enables the coordination of biodiversity-related law enforcement work, such as the efforts to stamp out rhino poaching, and will help authorities enforce national environmental legislation.War against poachingWhile poaching is still rife, the ongoing war against poachers is proving fruitful. Sanparks recently announced that it would channel US$260 000 (R2-million) from the Parks Development Fund into providing an additional 57 game rangers in the Kruger Park and equipping them with motorbikes, enabling them to cover their patrol areas more efficiently.The funds will also provide for the installation of a hi-tech crime information management system. Sanparks hopes that these new developments will give it the edge over would-be poachers.A further blow to criminal activities is the return of the South African military to patrol the vulnerable 450km national border between South Africa and Mozambique, in the east of the park. Military patrols along the border stopped three years ago.All 33 poached rhinos in the Kruger Park were killed along the eastern border, said Sanparks.“We intend to increase our efforts even more in ensuring that this scourge is routed out,” said Sanparks CEO David Mabunda. “Discussions have been started with Mozambican authorities to solicit their assistance in apprehending suspects and preventing illegal activities from proliferating on their side of the fence.”During 2009 at least 14 poachers, all of Mozambican origin, have been arrested and several illegal firearms seized in the Kruger Park. Altogether, 22 poachers around South Africa have been taken into custody since the beginning of 2009.In KwaZulu-Natal, which has also seen a surge in the number of rhino deaths, several suspects have been arrested in recent months. By late September 2009 the province had lost 19 rhino to poachers, 15 in areas managed by Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife – formerly known as the Natal Parks Board – and four in private reserves.In January 2009 police and wildlife authorities cracked an international rhino-smuggling ring and arrested 11 people of South African, Chinese and Mozambican origin.Zero toleranceA report released in July 2009 by the World Wide Fund for Nature, the International Union for the Conservation of Nature, and wildlife trade monitoring network Traffic, says that illegal international trade in rhino horns is almost at a 15-year high.But South Africa is sending out a stern warning that it will not tolerate this unlawful trade: “Poachers must beware, because we will seek them out, we will find them and they will be dealt with. This is a war that we plan on winning,” Mabunda said.
13 June 2014 A stunning hat-trick between the 43rd and 48th minutes by South African drag-flick king Justin Reid-Ross helped the men in green and gold to an impressive 6-2 victory over Malaysia and a final placing of eleventh at the Hockey World Cup in The Hague on Thursday. Incredibly, South Africa had trailed 0-1 at half-time, but Reid-Ross’ three goals, plus goals from Lloyd Norris-Jones, captain Austin Smith and Pierre de Voux took Fabian Gregory’s men to a fine victory. Firhan Ashari netted in the first half for the Malaysians, while a superb Shahrun Abdulla shot 49 seconds from the final whistle made the final score a little better for the Asian side.Deadly penalty corners Reid-Ross, who had an inspired match, both on attack and in defence, sent the ball whistling past hapless Malaysia goalkeeper Kumar Subramiam from the penalty spot in the 43rd minute, then delivered a drag-flick at a fearsome speed that nearly took the keeper’s head off two minutes later before nailing down another penalty corner in the 48th minute that threatened to break the back of the net. South Africa’s fourth goal was fittingly scored by the fleet-footed Norris-Jones, who took advantage of Smith’s slide-rule through-pass, and broke into the 23-metre area before entering the strike zone and smashing the ball past an advancing Subramiam. The Malaysian net-minder enjoyed a decent tournament, but in the playoff contest the South Africans got on top of him. In the face of extreme pressure, caused by a clumsy defence whose members too often used their bodies to bump the South Africans off the ball, Subramiam was made to struggle.Pressure The numerous penalty corners the South African strikers were able to win in the second half reflected the pressure the front-runners put the Malaysian defence under after the changeover, with the match taking a dramatic turn in the South Africa’s favour. To add insult to injury, Smith also nailed down a superb penalty corner drag-flick goal in the 64th minute, while striker De Voux completed the rout one minute from the final whistle. Yet the first half reflected much of South Africa’s woes in their Group matches, with the team’s lack of cohesion after being able to spend only two weeks together before the tournament being the players’ biggest problem.History World number 12 South Africa and world number 13 Malaysia have a history of close tussles in recent years and the full-time professional, well-paid Malaysians enjoy a national programme, while the men in green and gold have no such advantages. Rassie Pieterse, in the goals, was instrumental in keeping South Africa in the game when things weren’t going their way, but there was little he could do in the 26th minute when Malaysia forward Firhan Ashari exhibited excellent close control to evade defenders in the strike zone and slip the ball past the goalie. With five minutes to the break, Fitri Saari forced a penalty corner and Pieterse was on hand to make an acrobatic stick-save out to his right. Defender Rhett Halkett also had a very good game, and not just as a stopper of attacks. Several of his passes created chances for his team-mates, while South African midfielder and vice-captain Wade Paton, a player who does the unfashionable hard graft that allows others to shine, drew praise from head coach Fabian Gregory for soldiering on during the tournament despite a debilitating injury.Women’s playoff match Meanwhile, the Investec South Africa women’s hockey team will meet an old foe when they take on world number nine Japan in the playoff for ninth place at 10:00 on Friday. The Japanese women somewhat controversially edged South Africa, also in the playoff for ninth place, at the London 2012 Olympic Games, and the girls in green and gold will be determined to turn the tables this time round and end World Cup 2014 on a high, particularly as the Investec Cup looms in London mid-July, to be followed by the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow towards the end of next August. SAinfo reporter
The Maharashtra government has decided to upgrade the entire Crime Criminal Tracking Network System (CCTNS) project, following complaints of glitches in the system. The State Home Department will present a nearly-₹50-crore demand in the monsoon session of the Assembly, beginning June 17, for the overhaul of the system. The ₹49.73-crore proposal for 2019-20 will be presented in the form of a supplementary demand, senior officials said. “The funds will be used not only for the upgrading of the system, which has not given us the desired results yet, but also for maintaining it,” said a Home Department official. The project was unveiled in September 2015 to connect all police stations in the State. Since January 1, 2016, several police stations were registering first information reports (FIRs) digitally on the system, making its database retrievable. The government then planned to launch a CCTNS-based citizen portal, but did not do so, said officials.An internal report of the department had found the system did not result in improvements in detection, conviction rates and collection of evidence. The report had recommended putting in place a task force headed by the Special Inspector General, Cyber, to take corrective steps. The report also recommended some immediate measures for this task force, such as putting in place a database of all accused and FIRs. “Any police station should be able to watch and obtain in a simple manner (a) linkage between the accused in the FIR filed with information/crimes on the same accused pending in other police stations,” the report said. It also said the system should be made capable of aggregating and categorising registered crimes, and deriving trends even at the district level. Once the trend is identified, the system should be able to raise an alarm over targeted deployment of force in the most vulnerable regions and zones. “While this may be possible in the current set-up, it is not as structured as it is at the Government of India level,” the report said. The CCTNS project’s full potential is not yet tapped, it concluded.Senior officials said part of the funds would be used to ensure the system is foolproof. There have been complaints of entries being manipulated in the system on some occasions. “We will ensure the system remains transparent and citizens can give critical feedback,” said a senior official.
Akshay Kumar is on a roll. The actor has one more release this year, and three lined up for next year. After wrapping up Padman, the 49-year-old actor has begun shooting for Reema Kagti’s Gold.The film is the tale of the first gold medal that India won as a free nation in the 1948 London Olympics. While the details about Akshay’s character have been kept under the wraps, a leaked picture from the film set has gone viral. The photo shows Akshay in a dhoti-kurta, while his co-actor Mouni Roy, who is making her Bollywood debut with Gold, is in a saree.And now a report in Mumbai Mirror reveals that Akshay will essay the role of a Bengali, and the actor is learning Bengali from a language coach on the film set.A source was quoted as telling the daily, “A dialect tutor and a special trainer to explain traditional Bengali mannerisms have been working with Akshay, who has been prepping for the part since May. The costume team has been working with fabrics that reflect the designs from Kolkata in the ’40s and have been tailored to enhance Akshay’s character.”The film will see Mouni making her big screen debut. “Mouni plays Akshay’s love interest in the film and will also be seen speaking in Bengali. She will wear bright sarees in shades of red with puffy blouses and roses in her hair to be in sync with the showcased era. It’s a small yet prominent part,” added the source.advertisementThe film will hit the screens on August 15, 2018.ALSO READ | Gold first look: All you need to know about independent India’s first Olympic gold ALSO READ | Akshay Kumar’s Gold: Akshay Kumar and Talaash director Reema Kagti team up for sports drama ALSO WATCH: Akshay Kumar wins National Award – How the actor became Sabse Bada Khiladi
29Mar Rep. Miller approves Michigan State Police budget recommendations Categories: Miller News Plan includes 100 new troopers and increased funding for 9-1-1 technologyThe state House continues its commitment to public safety across Michigan though a bill approved by the Michigan State Police (MSP) Budget Subcommittee.State Rep. Aaron Miller, of Sherman Township, who chairs the subcommittee, today approved the panel’s recommendations for the MSP 2017-18 budget. Included in the plan is the addition of 100 new state police troopers across the state. “There’s a need for increased public safety statewide,” said Miller. “I’m proud to support the addition of these highly trained law enforcement officials.” Additionally, the plan also continues funding to maintain Michigan’s statewide advanced 9-1-1 system. “The Smart911 System saves lives and has been shown to improve responder safety by providing additional communications tools to dispatchers outside of the scope of a normal 9-1-1 call,” Miller said. “Increasing the technology behind our 9-1-1 services is essential to protecting more Michigan lives.”The subcommittee recommendation now moves to be considered by the full House Appropriations Committee.