Governors Urge Federal Government to Increase LIHEAP Funding to $1Bfor New England StatesRequest Sharp Increase in Funds to Assist Most Vulnerable this WinterWaterbury, VT-At an energy summit held by the New England Governors’ Conference, Inc. (NEGC) July 9, Governor Jim Douglas and his regional counterparts urged the federal government to increase federal Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) funding to $1 billion for the New England states this winter.In a letter sent to President Bush, Congressional leadership, and Senators McCain and Obama, the governors illustrate that the requested funding, a sharp increase from last year’s federal budget, is desperately needed to support low-income families in the upcoming heating season. They note that since the winter of 2005-2006, the price of home heating oil in New England has jumped 87%, and natural gas prices have also risen steeply. In order to deliver the same amount of fuel to New England eligible households as LIHEAP provided in 2005-06, assuming a likely increase in the number of households that will apply for needed assistance, LIHEAP funding for New England states would need to be increased to $1 billion.”Many Vermont families-indeed, many New England families-rely on the heating assistance provided by the LIHEAP program, particularly in this time of soaring fuel prices,” said Governor Douglas. “No Vermonter should be cold in his or her home this winter, or any winter. Through my new Food and Fuel Partnership, my administration is marshalling all our state’s resources to ensure all Vermonters are able to weather the perfect storm of rising food, fuel and transportation prices.”Thanks to the financial commitments made by Governor Douglas and the Vermont legislature, last year Vermont provided the most generous LIHEAP benefit in the country, averaging approximately $1169 per household, with approximately 23,000 households served.”Ensuring that the LIHEAP program remains strong for the many families it serves is a key component of the Governor’s Food and Fuel Partnership,” said Agency of Human Services Secretary Cynthia D. LaWare. “With so many Vermont and New England residents facing the very real prospect of being unable to heat their homes this winter, we need unwavering support from our federal partners in addition to the state’s efforts to ensure our most vulnerable families are able to keep their families warm.”The New England Governors further noted that all of their states are mobilizing resources to address the coming heating crisis, including establishing programs to replace inefficient furnaces, and significantly expanding the installation of insulation, programmable thermostats, thermal windows, weather stripping, and energy efficient appliances. However, these measures alone will not be enough to address the immediate needs of vulnerable families this winter.The NEGC also called on the federal government to take action to protect New England’s most vulnerable residents through a variety of other measures. These include significantly increasing funding for the federal Weatherization Program; increasing TANF block grants to allow for family supplemental payments for greater utility and heating costs; allowing Medicaid rules to cover increasing energy costs for programs and services that are provided in 24/7 facilities such as group homes and residential care and nursing facilities; and, increasing social services block grants to cover additional costs of transportation and energy for center-based care, such as child-care centers.The New England Governors’ Conference, Inc., is a non-partisan, non-profit corporation, and includes the Governors of Maine, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont. The NEGC coordinates regional policy programs in the areas of economic development, transportation, environment, energy, and health.#####
Franklin County, In. — Three students suffered minor injuries in a car/school bus crash on Tuesday on U.S. 52 just west of State Road 121.A report from the sheriff’s department says Scott Gray, 23, of Laurel, was eastbound on State Road 121 when he became distracted and struck the back of a school bus driven by Cole Meyers, 21, of Laurel, while students were preparing to board.The investigation determined the bus had the amber flashing lights eliminated, but the collision occurred before the red lights and stop arm had been deployed.Three teenagers were transported to Fayette Regional Hospital with minor injuries.
He went on: “Estidkhaar ran no race whatsoever and he never travelled. Kool Kompany will come back in trip for the Jersey as I don’t think he quite saw out a strongly run mile. “Moheet had a bit of an issue at the gates and he lost about five lengths which he could never make up, while we also had some trouble in running. He could well go to Ireland now as he didn’t run a bad race.” Frankie Dettori was handed a three-day ban, which will run from May 17, after being found guilty of careless riding aboard Moheet. Andre Fabre is keen to have a rematch after his Godolphin-owned star Territories put up a fine performance to finish second. The master French handler was quick to admit his charge was beaten by a better horse on the day, but he was undeterred by the result, even though Gleneagles won with some authority by two and a quarter lengths. Press Association “He was not unlucky – he had a fair race. He has to come from off the pace, but the winner had some distance between us and we could not get that back,” said Fabre. “We were beaten by a better horse. It is the hardest thing to admit that you are beaten by a better horse, but today we do admit it. “One of his targets is the St James’s Palace Stakes. We will think about it. He will probably be better in a smaller field and going round a bend. Coming from behind off a bend will be easier for him. I expect we will meet again.” Richard Hannon was delighted with the performance of third-placed Ivawood, feeling he saw out the trip. The Marlborough handler was quick to point out potential targets for the son of Zebedee, along with his three other runners Moheet, Estidhkaar and Kool Kompany. He said: “He ran a super race and he got a mile, so it is conversation over as far as that is concerned. “He will probably go for the Irish 2,000 Guineas now, then the St James’s Palace Stakes. The winner won very well and we’ve got no excuses. “They still raced in two groups and looked as if they were always in front this side, and we probably finished first of those on the far side. We’re very pleased, he ran a super race.” Several of the horses behind Gleneagles in the Qipco 2000 Guineas at Newmarket could be sent to either the Curragh or Royal Ascot for another go at the Ballydoyle colt.
The Inspectorate panel deliver their reportA DAMNING Garda Inspectorate report has complained that Donegal does not have a single Garda available to work as a community police officer.Donegal was one of the areas inspected by Chief Inspector Robert K Olson and his team.But the 500-page report, while critical of gardaí here in the county and some of their practices, appears to miss the fact that so many officers have been cut from the force in Donegal. On community policing, the Inspectorate said An Garda Síochána’s mission statement is “working with communities to protect and serve” and places community policing as the bedrock of community interaction.“With the closure of garda stations, the dormitory nature of many rural communities and the change of lifestyle across the nation, it is important to review and adapt how the police work with communities to deliver an effective operational response,” the report says.“Across the seven divisions visited, the Inspectorate found large variations in both the numbers of gardaí assigned to community policing and their role in the investigation of crime.“With the introduction of the new roster in April 2012, many divisions moved members from community policing units to create the required extra regular unit. Donegal, Kildare and Mayo effectively have no full-time community gardaí.” The inspection also found that one fifth of incidents were not recorded by Gardaí within 24 hours of them taking place.Of 1,532 incidents in 2012 – 80.9% were recorded within 24 hours, 5.4% in the period 24 hours to 36 hours, 0.6% from 36 hours to 48 hours and 4.1% from 48 hours to a week.However it took more than a week for 9.1% of these incidents – 139 in total – to be recorded as having taken place.“A crime incident should be recorded immediately and at least before the end of a member’s duty,” says the report.“Some of the crimes shown that were created within 24 hours are still outside of the Garda Directive as the reports were not completed within a tour of duty. “The Inspectorate accepts that the failure to create a PULSE incident does not necessarily mean in all cases that a crime was not investigated. However, the non-recording of crimes affects the accuracy of the data and the ability of a supervisor to check that all actions were correctly completed.”The Inspectorate also visited Milford Garda Station for the report, saying one of the three cells there was out of use.They found the custody area at the station “unsatisfactory”.The report also found that despite the vast are of County Donegal the number of patrol cars per Garda officers was the same as the national average – one car for every ten gardaí. However rank and file Donegal gardaí are already dismissing large parts of the report.“There’s nothing in there several million euro couldn’t fix. It’s the Department of Justice which needs to be spoken to, not gardaí,” said one officer.REVEALED: CUTBACKS MEAN THERE ISN’T A SINGLE COMMUNITY GARDA LEFT IN DONEGAL was last modified: November 12th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:500 pagesdonegalGarda Inspectoratereport