2 Lemonwood Ct, Douglas.THE suburb of Douglas is becoming increasingly popular with parents snapping up houses for their children to live in while they attend the nearby university.Ray White Douglas agent Nicole Plozza lives in Douglas and specialises in selling real estate in the area.She said stock in Douglas was already tight but demand was expected to increase further in the coming weeks as buyers rush to get into the suburb before the new university year begins.“When the acceptance letters go out that’s when it gets really busy,” Ms Plozza said.More from news01:21Buyer demand explodes in Townsville’s 2019 flood-affected suburbs12 Sep 202001:21‘Giant surge’ in new home sales lifts Townsville property market10 Sep 2020“A lot of parents have kids who are doing courses like vet science and they will buy the house for their kids to live in and rent the other rooms out because they find it more cost-effective than their kids living at the uni.“Douglas is also popular with shift workers at the hospital because they want to be as close as possible to work.”Ms Plozza has 2 Lemonwood Court listed in Douglas for $375,000. The four-bedroom, two-bathroom, two-car home is already receiving interest from buyers wanting the house for their children to live in.She said the home was well maintained, had been freshly painted and refreshed and with its price point she expected it to sell quickly.Ms Plozza said a surplus in stock had now dried up and buyers had limited choice in Douglas with properties selling fast.“Not much is sitting on the market in Douglas for very long,” she said. “Three weeks is the most properties are lasting for your four-bedroom home.”To find out more information about 2 Lemonwood Court call Nicole Plozza on 0415 624 609.
All clubs are to be warned to follow the rules governing players suffering concussion following the controversy surrounding Tottenham goalkeeper Hugo Lloris. Spurs have defended their handling of the incident where manager Andre Villas-Boas allowed the Frenchman to remain on the pitch against Everton on Sunday despite having been knocked out in a collision with Romelu Lukaku’s knee and initially being unable to remember where he was. FIFA’s chief medical officer and the Professional Footballers’ Association say, under current regulations, that Lloris should have been substituted. Tottenham’s head of medical services Wayne Diesel said: “Once the relevant tests and assessments were carried out, we were totally satisfied that he was fit to continue playing.” FIFA’s chief medical officer, professor Jiri Dvorak, said if there is any doubt about concussion then the player should be removed from the field of play. Dvorak said there was a “99 per cent probability” that Lloris would have been concussed – and pointed out that Everton striker Lukaku needed an ice-pack on his knee afterwards. “The player should have been substituted,” Dvorak told Press Association Sport. “The fact the other player needed ice on his knee means it’s obvious the blow was extensive. “It’s a 99 per cent probability that losing consciousness in such an event will result in concussion.” Dvorak added that the player’s view should not be taken into account in such situations. He said: “When he has been knocked unconscious, the player himself may not see the reality. “I do not know the details but I know that the Premier League doctors are extremely good and I can imagine that the doctor may have recommended he be replaced. “We have a slogan: if there is any doubt, keep the player out.” Villas-Boas’ decision has been criticised as “dangerous” and “irresponsible” by brain injury charity Headway. Luke Griggs, spokesperson for Headway, said: “We are hugely concerned that a professional football club should take such an irresponsible and cavalier attitude to a player’s health.” The FA has detailed regulations on head injuries and concussion and, although it is understood the governing body is not investigating Tottenham’s handling of the incident, the rules state that anyone suffering unconsciousness should not play again that day. The rules do, however, allow for “a transient alteration of conscious level” following a head injury, which says a player can return to play following assessment by medical staff. Coincidentally, Lukaku was himself the centre of a concussion scare at West Ham earlier in the season when he suffered a blow to the head while scoring, but played on and afterwards said he could not remember anything about his goal. The international players’ union FIFPro also criticised Tottenham for allowing Lloris to continue. The incident was raised by PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor at a quarterly meeting with representatives from the Football Association, Premier League and Football League on Monday, where it was decided to remind clubs of the protocol for concussion. Taylor told Press Association Sport: “I watched the incident on television and I was surprised to say the least that he was allowed to stay on. “We are very concerned that the protocol that involves concussed players was not adhered to and I raised this at the meeting with the professional game’s stakeholders today, and the decision was taken to remind all clubs of the protocol. “Managers should not take these decisions in the heat of the moment and that needs reinforcing.” Taylor said the PFA wants the rules made even tougher so that any player who loses consciousness during a match should be automatically removed from the field of play rather than leaving it up to medical staff to make a decision. Lloris was unable to remember the incident and was taken for a brain scan but given the all-clear. Questions remain, though, over Villas-Boas’ decision. Immediately after the match he told Sky Sports: “The medical department was giving me signs that the player couldn’t carry on, because he couldn’t remember where he was.” In a statement, however, Tottenham said medical staff were “totally satisfied that he was fit to continue playing”. The club did not respond to further questions asking whether Lloris did in fact suffer concussion – under current rules that will require at least a week’s rest and further tests. Press Association
As part of Government’s vision to showcase local businesses and particularly those involved in agro-processing, a one-day exhibition was held on Saturday evening at the Albion Sports Complex titled “Regional Agriculture and Commercial Exhibition”.Locally bottled valued added farm produceThe event, which was organised by the Region Six Regional Democratic Council (RDC), was held under the theme, ‘Maximising the potential productivity of out immense diversity in East Berbice Corentyne’.Speaking at the exhibition, Regional Executive Officer Kim Williams-Stephens explained that one the main objectives of the initiative was to bring awareness of economic activity and development in communities in the region.“Many of us live in communities and we are not even aware of some of the economic activates that are there and so today would give us that opportunity so that we can see the prudential that we have in our villages and as a whole in East Berbice Corentyne,” the REO said during her official welcoming to the Exhibition.Locally grown onions and other farm produceShe also reiterated that the exhibition also helps to showcase local produce. “In showcasing at the same time it will attract business and also local and foreign investors. This will help not only in the development of the community but the entire region.”Both small and large-scale entities were on display, stretching from Orealla located 50 miles up the Corentyne River to Mara situated 25 miles up the East Bank of Berbice.Agencies such as the Agriculture Ministry highlighted its various arms such as the National Drainage and Irrigation Authority (NDIA), Guyana Livestock and Development Authority (GLDA), the Fisheries Department and the National Agricultural Research and Extension Institute (NAREI).The Business Ministry was also represented by the Guyana National Bureau of Standards (GNBS). Addressing those in attendance, Regional Chairman David Armogan explained that it was the first such exhibition to be organised at a regional level but promised for it to be an annual affair.The Chairman stressed the need for local farmers to take advantage of local markets and urged them to pay more attention to nontraditional crops.The Caribbean Community (Caricom) imports almost US$14 billion annually. Guyana, he said, is strategically positioned to take a substantial part of that money in food which is imported into the Caribbean.“Guyana is blessed with an abundance of land and fresh water and Berbice more than any other part of Guyana is blessed with great abundance of land; you know we have the Canje Creek as our fresh water source.”Sadly, he noted in the agriculture sector, the focus has been on primary production and the prices on the world market make the local marker vulnerable. Speaking specifically of rice, he said there is need for farmers to become more competitive.“One of the problems in this region is that we produce at a very high cost and despite the availability of markets in the world, we have not been able to access the most high-priced markets.”As such, he noted that one of the reasons for this, is due to the cost of production and the other is because of the lack of standard.“To be able to supply international markets these days, you have to subscribe to certain standards of which we in this region and Guyana are yet to meet.”Armogan also urged farmers to get into commercial agriculture and stop focusing on subsistence agriculture. “What we have here are farmers with small plots of land utilising the labour of their entire family circle to plant half an acre to be able to sustain their family; that is subsistence agriculture.”He said Guyana will not be able to develop its agricultural capacity if it continues along that line. Noting that most of the land in the region is now under rice cultivation, Armogan said there is now need for farmers to move into other areas of production.The Chairman commended the farmers on the quality of their produce which they had on display and also commended those in agro-processing, stating the quality of packaging is as good as many of the items imported from other Caribbean countries.