Governor Jim Douglas yesterday received a letter from Chairman of the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure, James Oberstar (D-MN) commending Vermont for ranking first in nation for “the percentage of wastewater infrastructure Recovery Act funds put out to bid, under contract, and underway.” Vermont has committed all of its wastewater infrastructure funds from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA).“The entire Recovery Act team, from our Office of Economic Stimulus and Recovery to the Department of Environmental Conservation, has done a tremendous job ensuring that we are getting these critical infrastructure funds into our communities and creating jobs expeditiously,” said Governor Douglas. “When Congress passed the Recovery Act last year, it was up to the states to implement much of the funding. We are doing our part to get the money into our economy quickly, while being responsible stewards of the public’s resources.”Wastewater infrastructure projects funded through ARRA include the Twin Oaks stormwater project in South Burlington, the combined sewer overflow elimination project in Springfield and a solar panel installation project at the wastewater treatment plant in Montpelier, among others. Department of Environmental Conservation Commissioner Justin Johnson said of the state’s work, “With a combination of smart work and good sense, Vermont was able to identify good projects and get the stimulus funds obligated quickly and efficiently.”Source: Governor’s office. 5.7.2010###
In light of several local banking institutions having expressed concern over the disclosure of confidential information to sections of the local media, Public Security Minister Khemraj Ramjattan on Thursday said that he views the leaks as ‘negative’, not only for the Guyana Police Force (GPF) but the agency involved in the ongoing investigations. Against this backdrop, the Minister stressed that he intends to question the owner of the media house that reported the leaked documents.“I’ll have to ask probably the proprietor of the paper that first had the information, where he got it from [but] of course I’m certain they would say ‘we are confidential with our sources’ but it comes from a variety of sources quite frankly but I have asked SOCU (The Special Organised Crime Unit) and SOCU said they never leaked anything,” Ramjattan expressed.Guyana Times reported that SOCU had denied that it was responsible for the leakage of the sensitive information in sections of the media regarding the alleged “billions” in assets owned by embattled Ministry of the Presidency’s Permanent Secretary (PS) Omar Shariff.Ramjattan related that he is unaware from just where the leaks are emanating. “It is something that is indeed a negative but I must sayOmar ShariffPublic Security Minister Kemraj Ramjattan responds to the “negative” SOCU leaksI don’t know where that leak is coming from,” the Public Security Minister expressed.It was only on Tuesday that Bank of Guyana Governor, Dr Gobin Ganga, told this publication that he was worried over the leaks, pointing out that the divulged information can only serve to bring the entire banking sector into disrepute. Dr Ganga had earlier raised his concerns over the banking community sharing its information with State agencies, such as SOCU.After the Bank of Guyana Governor raised his objections to the disclosures, the Public Security Minister on Wednesday confirmed that some bankers had related to him their concerns over the leaks. He had told this publication that the banking sector will have to understand that notwithstanding the “derailment” with the leakage of confidential information, they are still obligated under the laws of Guyana to turn over requested information. Ramjattan had also pointed out that the denigrating of SOCU can only in the long run serve to undermine its investigations. He cautioned that those attached to SOCU are quite aware that the divulgence of confidential information is in fact a violation of its protocols.Speaking directly to those in the banking sector that have publicly or privately expressed their concerns over the leaked information,SOCU HeadquartersRamjattan had stated: “we will have to address this.”Sections of the media had published the bank account information of Shariff, along with what appears to be a summary of its balances and withdrawals. The published information also pointed to several asset holdings for Shariff, including shares in a number of local organisations, as well as shares owned in two local banks and Banks DIH Limited.Recently, Shariff, who broke his silence in relation to the allegations, had claimed that SOCU was responsible for leaking the confidential information to the media. He was recently sent on leave by Minister of State Joseph Harmon, pending an investigation by SOCU into his financial affairs.
0Shares0000Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba insists racist abuse only makes him stronger © AFP / Lindsey ParnabyLONDON, United Kingdom, Aug 25 – Paul Pogba says he is ready to fight against racist abuse after the Manchester United star and his team-mate Marcus Rashford were subjected to social media taunts following their penalty misses.Pogba was the target of racial slurs on Twitter when his penalty was saved by Wolves goalkeeper Rui Patricio in Monday’s 1-1 draw. Then United striker Rashford suffered racist abuse online after hitting the post with a penalty in Saturday’s shock 2-1 defeat against Crystal Palace.Chelsea striker Tammy Abraham and Reading’s Yakou Meite were also recently targeted by social media trolled and World Cup winner Pogba has had enough.The 26-year-old insists he will use the jibes as fuel to step up the fight against racists.“My ancestors and my parents suffered for my generation to be free today, to work, to take the bus, to play football,” Pogba wrote on his Instagram account on Sunday.“Racist insults are ignorance and can only make me stronger and motivate me to fight for the next generation.”During the Palace match at Old Trafford, United fans unveiled a banner reading ‘United against racism’.Rashford had tweeted in support of Pogba after the Wolves games, saying: “Enough now, this needs to stop Twitter. Manchester United is a family. Paul Pogba is a huge part of that family. You attack him you attack us all.”United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer condemned both incidents involving his players.“It’s the same we spoke about before the weekend. It’s unheard of and we need it to stop, it needs to stop,” Solskjaer said.“I’m just lost for words if it keeps going. We keep having all these campaigns ‘No to Racism’ and it keeps hiding behind fake identities. It’s just crazy that we talk about this in 2019.”Pogba’s message was accompanied by a photograph showing him holding his baby alongside portraits of his late father Fassou Antoine and civil rights activist Martin Luther King,Marcus Rashford became the latest player to become the target of racist trolls after missing a penalty kick © AFP / Lindsey ParnabyTwitter said on Wednesday that they will meet with United, Kick It Out (anti-discrimination organisation within football) and any other civil society stakeholders to discuss the problem.Twitter claim to have already permanently suspended a series of accounts as a result of the racist posts.Anti-discrimination campaigners Kick It Out have also called for action.“The vile racist abuse on social media continued today. This problem will not go away and needs decisive action – that’s what we’ll be making clear to Twitter when we meet,” Kick It Out said on Saturday.“Without immediate and the strongest possible action, these cowardly acts will continue to grow.”0Shares0000(Visited 20 times, 1 visits today)