December 02, 2016 Press Release, Weather Safety Harrisburg, PA – Governor Tom Wolf today announced that the federal government has granted his request for federal disaster assistance to reimburse state agencies, county and municipal governments and other eligible private non-profits for costs associated with significant flash flooding in Bradford, Centre, Lycoming and Sullivan counties on Oct. 21, 2016.“This flooding caused considerable damage to state and local infrastructure, and the financial impact would have caused significant strain on the communities and their economies,” said Governor Wolf. “This assistance will make a big difference in these communities that simply cannot absorb the cost of repairs.”The overall estimated total costs associated with this major disaster declaration are $33.2 million, which exceeds the commonwealth’s federally-established threshold of $18.1 million. Federal reimbursement will cover up to 75 percent of county costs incurred on eligible expenses, such as costs associated with paying overtime, repairs to damaged public infrastructure, equipment rentals, materials, search and rescue operations, and opening and operating shelters. It is important to note that total costs may fluctuate as applications for assistance are reviewed at both the state and federal levels.Over the coming weeks, staff from the Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency will hold meetings with applicants to thoroughly review all application documentation before forwarding it to the Federal Emergency Management Agency. The process is expected to take several weeks, and all reimbursements are handled electronically.Like Governor Tom Wolf on Facebook: Facebook.com/GovernorWolf Governor Wolf Announces Federal Disaster Funding for October Flooding SHARE Email Facebook Twitter
Security officers stand at the site of a suicide bombing in Ndjamena, Chad, on Monday. Photo: Reuters Chad’s military says it has carried out airstrikes on Boko Haram positions in neighbouring Nigeria to avenge twin suicide bombings in Chad’s capital that were blamed on the extremist group. The military says its helicopters have struck at least six bases in Nigeria used by the Islamist militant group Boko Haram. Earlier Chad said it had arrested at least five suspects in connection to the suicide bombings that killed 34 people.The country has also banned religious burqas- a garment covering the whole body from head to feet worn by Muslim women. Monday’s attacks were the first of their kind in Chad and appeared to be retaliation by Boko Haram for Chad’s leading role in an offensive against the militants.Security officers stand at the site of a suicide bombing in Ndjamena, Chad, on Monday. Photo: ReutersChad said Thursday its military carried out retaliatory airstrikes against Boko Haram militants in neighboring Nigeria after a pair of suicide bombings earlier this week in the Chadian capital that killed at least 33 people. The military said in a statement that the airstrikes targeted six militant camps and caused “considerable human and material losses.” There were no details on where exactly the strikes took place. Monday’s deadly blasts happened at a police headquarters and police academy in N’Djamena where more than 100 people were also injured.Prime Minister Kalzeube Pahimi Deubet said Wednesday that in response to the attacks the government was banning the wearing and sale of burqas in the country. Chad, along with Niger and Cameroon, deployed troops earlier this year to fight Boko Haram after the militants launched a series of cross-border attacks. Last week, those countries joined Nigeria and Benin in announcing a new regional task force headquartered in N’Djamena to counter the militants.