China expected to take lead in offshore wind capacity by 2021 FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Greentech Media:The U.K., which now leads the world in offshore wind installations, will soon lose its title to China, despite plans to double its capacity by 2030. The analyst firm FTI Consulting expects China’s cumulative offshore capacity to pull ahead of the U.K. after 2021.That year, China is expected to have almost 10.9 gigawatts of cumulative capacity, compared to less than 10.4 gigawatts in the U.K. China has been catching up with the U.K. since 2017, when Chinese offshore wind installations breached the 1-gigawatt mark.From 2019 onward, FTI Consulting expects China to install 2 gigawatts per year, rising to 4 gigawatts annually by 2025. In contrast, the U.K. is not expected to reach 2 gigawatts per year until 2024.China’s advancement comes as the U.K. completed a number of prominent projects in 2018, including the world’s largest operational offshore wind farm, Walney Extension, which clocks in at 659 megawatts, plus the 573-megawatt Race Bank and 400-megawatt Rampion plants.Pointing to the scale of China’s ambitions, this month Jiangsu Province in eastern China was reported to have approved 24 offshore wind projects with a total capacity of 6.7 gigawatts, all due to come online before the end of 2020. The 122.29 billion yuan (USD $18 billion) investment is part of a plan called “Three Gorges on Sea” that aims to develop 10 gigawatts of offshore wind in Jiangsu, reports said.The Jiangsu projects approved this month are nearly six times as much as the 1.2 gigawatts of offshore wind power that China installed nationally in 2017, based on figures from the Global Wind Energy Council (GWEC). They also represent more than twice as much capacity as the whole country had installed offshore at the end of 2017, which GWEC put at almost 2.8 gigawatts.More: China set to overtake UK as offshore wind leader by 2021
As of Wednesday morning, many Palm Beach County hospital ICUs were also reportedly near capacity.According to the state’s hospital bed census, Bethesda West and Wellington Regional Medical Center both reported they only had two beds available for ICU patients.Gov. Ron Desantis said this week that hospitals are seeing more patients for other issues, and then learning they also have coronavirus. The governor added that is part of the reason the positive numbers are rising.“People didn’t all of the sudden stop having heart attacks,” DeSantis said. “People were not as comfortable seeking medical care then, so we’ve been stressing, and every hospital we’ve talked to is stressing, ‘Hey, we’re open for business.’” As cases of the coronavirus continue to increase throughout South Florida, health officials are growing concerned over hospitalizations and the numbers of intensive care unit beds that are, or are not, available.Last week, the state reached more than 1,800 hospitalizations, marking the highest single-day since the beginning of the pandemic, according to state records.Some area hospitals are now taking steps to increase the amount of available ICU beds.Bethesda East, Bethesda West and Boca Raton Regional Center are rescheduling elective procedures that require overnight stays in order to help free up space for COVID-19 patients.In Broward, Memorial Hospital West in Pembroke Pines reported only two of its 40 adult ICU beds were left Tuesday, according to state records.Meanwhile, Memorial Hospital Miramar reported none available, with all 18 of its ICU beds occupied.Broward Health North in Deerfield Beach reported that it had one of 32 beds available, while Baptist Hospital of Miami reported that six out of 88 beds remained open.Throughout Florida, 56 hospital ICUs have reached capacity, while another 35 hospitals report ICU bed availability of 10 percent or less.In response to the recent outbreak of coronavirus (COVID-19), we have suspended visitation for the health and safety of everyone in our care. Visitors are not permitted in the hospital (with limited critical exceptions). View our full Health Alert at https://t.co/rJgAiuZPGq. pic.twitter.com/Pc5bHBx2s2— Wellington Regional (@WellingtonRegMC) March 17, 2020
Russell Westbrook wants to see boundaries in place preventing NBA fans from touching the players on court after a young supporter appeared to push him in Denver.The Thunder star had 22 points, 14 rebounds and nine assists in a 121-112 loss Tuesday to the Nuggets. “He hit me, so I told his dad, ‘Be careful, you can’t just have your son hitting people, just let him know,'” he said.”You’ve got to control your kids. It’s that simple. He’s responsible for his kid. Watch the game, sit there, have fun, enjoy it.”There’s too much leeway for all the fans to touch the players and get away with it. We can’t react and do the things that we need to do to protect ourselves.”It’s important that they understand — kids, whoever it is, dads, moms — that they can say whatever they want, as long as it’s respectful, but the touching, for me, is off limits.” Brad Stevens on Celtics’ big loss to Raptors: We’re taking too many shortcuts defensively But video of one particular incident involving Westbrook went viral as a child courtside stood up and appeared to push the point guard after a foul was called.Russell Westbrook pulled the dad card on a Nuggets fan after the kid gave him a little push. pic.twitter.com/b4nBTXlV9r— ESPN (@espn) February 27, 2019Westbrook turned and stared at the fan, before bending down to address him and his father, later detailing the conversation to reporters as he bemoaned fans’ ability to physically interact with players. Related News Russell Westbrook on the courtside incident with the kid pic.twitter.com/3qHODHPn8w— Brady Trantham (@BradyDoesSports) February 27, 2019Explaining his initial reaction, Westbrook said he did not know it was a child at the time.”No, no, then I turned around and I see it’s a kid,” he said. “Initially you don’t know that, but I can’t … What am I going to do? Hop in the stands?”There’s got to be some type of rule or some type of boundary set that you can’t allow that.”
For a while Sunday, it looked as if Giguere might cost them the game. He gave up questionable goals to Nashville’s Kimmo Timonen and J.P. Dumont, and the Ducks faced a 2-0 deficit by the end of the first period. “The first goal was deflected, so it was a tough play,” Giguere said. “The second goal was a bad goal. Things will happen. We’re all human and we make mistakes.” Selanne scored on a breakaway 1:04 into the second period. Dustin Penner’s deflection of Chris Pronger’s shot from the left point tied the score at 2-2 at 3:26 of the third period. Penner’s goal was his fifth in the past four games and increased his franchise record for a rookie to 24 in a season. firstname.lastname@example.org (310) 540-4201 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! He had been bailed out again in the Ducks’ 3-2 shootout victory over the Nashville Predators on Sunday night at the Honda Center. “I heard the puck hit the post, but I wasn’t sure if it was off the post and in or off the post and out,” Giguere said after Martin Erat’s shot in the third and final round of the shootout struck the right post and caromed away harmlessly. “I was just waiting for a reaction from somebody.” Ryan Getzlaf and Teemu Selanne scored for the Ducks in the shootout, and Paul Kariya scored for Nashville. Erat, attempting to send the shootout to a fourth round, beat Giguere high and to the glove side. The puck hit nothing but iron, however. Erat’s miss enabled the Pacific Division-leading Ducks to sneak away with a come-from-behind victory and extend their lead to eight points over the second-place Dallas Stars. The Ducks also are nine points ahead of the third-place San Jose Sharks. Western Conference-leading Nashville was without Jason Arnott (flu-like symptoms), Peter Forsberg (upper body injury), Scott Hartnell (broken foot), David Legwand (upper body) and Steve Sullivan (back spasms). For the Ducks, second in the West, winning their first division title means avoiding a possible first-round playoff matchup against the Predators. Goaltender Jean-Sebastien Giguere heard the puck clang off the goal post behind him, but wasn’t immediately sure whether that was a good thing or a bad thing. Giguere then saw his teammates on the bench erupt in celebration. He heard the roar of a sellout crowd and finally raised his arms in a delayed reaction of joy and relief.