first_img Tags: Disan GgaliwangoExpress FCLawrence KigonyaMathais Muwangapolice fcUganda Cup Express players celebrate in front of their fans after defeating Police on Monday (Photo by Shaban Lubega)Stanbic Uganda Cup Express FC (4) 0-0 (1) Police FC Betway Mutessa II Stadium, WankulukukuTuesday, 19-02-2019WANKULUKUKU – Express defeated Police FC in penalties to reach the Stanbic Uganda Cup quarter-finals.After a goalless draw in 90 minutes at Wankulukuku, the Red Eagles converted all four of their penalties with Police missing two.Express had earlier started the game brightly with Michael Birungi who was returning after a two-match suspension, firing wide from a promising position, inside the first minute.On 17 minutes, left-back Disan Galiwango tested the Police goalkeeper Davis Mutebi from distance which was gathered routinely by the custodian.Police’s first worthy attempt came three minutes later with league top scorer Juma Balinya turning swiftly, rounded Muwanga but he ran out of ground before inflicting the desired damage.At the other end, Ggaliwango made a decent run down the left flank but intended pass to Mubaraka Nsubuga was intercepted by Joseph Ssentume who enabled Police to clear their lines.On the half-hour mark, Police defender Joseph Ssentume shrugged down Mubarak Kasule and got booked. John Revita’s subsequent chip off the resultant free-kick was tapped straight to the goalkeeper Mutebi who parried the ball away for a fruitless corner.At the end of the first half, Express looked the better side despite going into the break still deadlocked at 0-0 with their opponents.As the second half returned, Police called for the first change of the game as Pius Kaggwa paved way for Ruben Kimera.On the hour mark, Express lost defender Shafiq ‘Nana’ Kakeeto to injury and was replaced by midfielder Lawrence Kigonya.Brian Umony was the second change for the home side as they pushed for fresher legs up front, taking over Mubarak’s slot after 66 minutes before Tonny Odur was introduced in place of Ibrahim Kayiwa with 13 minutes left on the clock.The visitors made two late changes when Shakur Makeera and Simon Mbazira took over from Hassan Kalega and Samuel Kayongo’s respectively.Ninety minutes failed to produce any goal for either side and as the rule states, it was penalties that would separate them.In the shoot-out, Express converted all four of their first penalties with Birungi, Ggaliwango, Kigonya and Odur all finding the back of the net.For Police, only Kimera scored while Balinya and Bwogi saw their spots saved by Muwanga to ensure that Express win 4-1 and advance to the quarterfinals.The Red Eagles now join Bright Stars, Vipers, BUL, Nebbi Central, Wakiso Giants, Kyetume and Proline in the quarterfinals of the 2018/19 Uganda Cup.The winner of the Uganda Cup qualifies to play in the CAF Confederation Cup.Comments last_img