The end of the curfew comes as the Big Apple prepares to start reopening some businesses on Monday, including manufacturing and construction companies, wholesalers and retailers.Retailers will still not be allowed to have customers inside for a few more weeks, although curbside pickup and delivery will be offered.Between 200,000 and 400,000 people are expected to return to their workplaces in the city Monday, many of them by taking a subway system that most have avoided due to difficulty maintain social distance.New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo is also reiterating his call for people who have attended protest marches to get tested for the coronavirus.”Get a test. Get a test,” the governor said Sunday, adding that the state plans to open 15 testing sites dedicated just to protesters so they can get results quickly. “I would act as if you were exposed, and I would tell people you are interacting with, assume I am positive for the virus.” New York City lifted the curfew that had been in place due to protests against police brutality ahead of schedule on Sunday, after a peaceful night of demonstrations.“I want to thank everybody who has expressed their views peacefully,” Mayor Bill de Blasio said Sunday morning. “I made the decision to end the curfew. And honestly, I hope it’s the last time we will ever need a curfew in New York City.”Although he dropped the curfew, the mayor said he has not made a decision on whether to lift a ban on vehicles in Manhattan south of 96th Street after 8 p.m.The 8 p.m. citywide curfew, which was New York’s first in decades, was to remain in effect through at least Sunday, with officials planning to lift it when the city enters the first phase of reopening from the coronavirus.The mayor’s move followed New York City police also deciding to retreat on enforcing the curfew Saturday, as thousands of residents marched and rallied, following the May 25 death of George Floyd at the hands of Minneapolis police.New York City: We are lifting the curfew, effective immediately. Yesterday and last night we saw the very best of our city.Tomorrow we take the first big step to restart. Keep staying safe. Keep looking out for each other.— Mayor Bill de Blasio (@NYCMayor) June 7, 2020
Creston cut the lead on the power play.With Schell in the box for high sticking, the Leaf defence completely deserted Soles, allowing Angus Johnston at least three kicks at the net before the Alberta native poked the puck into the Nelson goal.However, any momentum gained by the Thunder Cats was erased when scored three times during a six-minute span with two of the goals coming on the power play.Dustin Reimer got the offence going before Sookro, tapping in a neat pass from Willans, scored his second of the game and Seth Schmidt finished off the assault with a long point shot.Willans, scoring Nelson’s third power play of the game, and Marcel Fuchs of the Cats exchanged goals in a period Creston held a 13-8 shots advantage.”The second period was key and we also had a good start,” Schell explained.”Our preparation was a lot better before this game.”Soles, improving his season record to 13-1, faced 22 shots in the Leaf nets.Nelson is idle until Wednesday when Castlegar visits the NDCC Arena for a 7 p.m. puck drop.GAME NOTES: Nelson received an early Christmas present from divisional rival Beaver Valley as the Hawks stuck it to the Rebels 5-3 at the Hawks Nest. The Castlegar loss increases Nelson’s lead in the Murdoch Division to seven points with the Leafs having played an extra game. . . . Brandon Sookro now has three goals for the Leafs this season. The Kootenay Ice sniper also hit the post in the second period. Sookro and the Ice face Matthew Barzal and the Vancouver Northeast Chiefs in Major Midget action Saturday and Sunday in Castlegar. Barzal, the first overall Bantam pick by the Seattle Thunderbirds of the WHL leads the Major Midget League ion scoring with 54 points in 19 games. . . .Nelson center Bryce Nielsen continues to be sidelined with an upper body injury. Creston had the perfect opportunity to sneak into the Heritage City under the cloak of night and steal two points from a team already looking to a Wednesday night showdown with their division rivals.However, the Nelson Leafs put forth just enough effort to knock off the Thunder Cats 6-2 in Kootenay International Junior Hockey League action Friday night at the NDCC Arena.Nelson rode the offensive punch of three team leaders — Carsen Willans (three points), team captain Colton Schell (three points) and Linden Horswill (four points) — to a four-goal second period, then jumped on the shoulders of netminder Brett Soles to secure the victory against one of the league’s weaker teams.”This win was definitely important . . . especially with Castlegar coming up (the Rebels face the Leafs Wednesday in Nelson),” Horswill said from outside the Leaf dressing room.”We need the points to keep a margin between us and Castlegar.””We needed to rebuild our confidence especially with Castlegar coming up,” Schell later explained.”Despite being out shot 9-8 in the opening frame it was the Leafs heading to the dressing room leading 1-0 on a goal by Major Midget affiliate player Brandon Sookro.In the second Nelson increased its lead when a soft shot by Willans somehow found its way through the legs of Creston goalie Zach Straza less than three minutes into the second period.
In a suspected case of rape and murder, a teenage girl was found dead on the railway tracks in neighbouring Palwal two days ago, the police said on Tuesday. Based on the complaint of the girl’s father, a case of rape and murder has been registered against two minors. Both the juveniles in conflict with the law are on the run.The police said the post-mortem report was awaited to ascertain the cause of death and confirmation of rape. “The post-mortem was conducted on Monday, but the report is still awaited. The girl’s viscera has also been preserved and sent for further examination,” said Assistant Sub-Inspector Bhim Singh, posted at the Palwal Government Railway Police Post. The girl was found dead on the railway tracks on June 2 around 7.30 a.m.In a missing complaint filed at the Chand Hut police station on June 2, the family said the girl went out with the duo after she received a call on her phone in the early hours. While the girl left her own phone behind, she took along her father’s cell phone, which is also missing.Father’s allegationAfter the body was found, an FIR was registered at the GRP Palwal Police Post by the girl’s father alleging that his daughter was raped and murdered by the duo. The two have been named in the FIR.Mr. Singh said police teams have mounted raids at several places in search of the duo, but they were still at large. “The girl and the two boys are all school drop-outs and were known to each other. The girl’s father is a farmer,” he said.
The All India Congress Committee (AICC) on Thursday announced five region-wise election in-charge leaders for the Maharashtra Assembly election.Former MP Mulik Wasnik will be the election in-charge for Vidarbha, Rajni Patil will handle Konkan and western Maharashtra, R.C. Khutia will be the in-charge of northern Maharashtra, while Rajeev Satav will handle Marathwada. Senior Congress leader Avinash Pandey will be the in-charge of Mumbai as well as the election control room.In addition, the newly appointed party leaders will also have AICC secretaries in-charge attached to them.Third setThis is the third set of leaders that the AICC has announced for the Maharashtra elections. Prior to the Lok Sabha polls, former Karnataka MP and AICC general secretary Mallikarjun Kharge was appointed as the State in-charge, along with secretaries Ashish Dua, Sonal Patel and Sampath Kumar.Two months ago, Balasaheb Thorat was appointed as State unit president while Nitin Raut, Yashomati Thakur, Vishwajeet Kadam, Muzaffar Hussain and Basavaraj Patil were made working presidents.
The Supreme Court on October 21 stayed the criminal trial in the alleged sex CD case involving Chhattisgarh Chief Minister and senior Congress leader Bhupesh Baghel as an accused and sought his response on the CBI’s plea to transfer the matter out of the State.A Bench headed by Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi was told by Solicitor General Tushar Mehta, appearing for the CBI, that it was seeking transfer of the case out of Chhattisgarh as two prosecution witnesses have complained to the probe agency that they have been threatened.The Bench, which also comprised Justices S.A. Bobde and S.A. Nazeer, sought response of the Chief Minister on the CBI plea and in the meanwhile, stayed the ongoing trial in the case.Mr. Mehta said, for the sake of fair trial, the CBI has filed the plea seeking transfer of the case out of the State as the accused is now the Chief Minister and there are chances of the witnesses getting coerced.The CBI had registered a case in 2017 against Mr. Baghel, then Chhattisgarh Congress president, on a complaint that he had allegedly tried to frame the then State PWD Minister and BJP leader Rajesh Munat in the fake sex CD case.Mr. Munat, the then Chhattisgarh PWD Minister in the Raman Singh Cabinet and a BJP leader, had filed a complaint against Mr. Baghel and senior journalist Vinod Verma for allegedly tarnishing his image through a “fake” sex CD.In 2017, Chhattisgarh police had swooped down on journalist Verma’s house in Ghaziabad and had picked him up for conspiring with Mr. Baghel to allegedly tarnish the image of the BJP leader.The then State BJP government had transferred the case to the CBI which has filed the charge sheet in the case.
Chelsea have three signings lined up for Januaryby Paul Vegas5 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveChelsea have three potential signings lined up ahead of the January transfer window.The Blues are still serving a two-window ban, but are planning to bolster their ranks IF their transfer suspension is lifted.Gazzetta dello Sport says Chelsea have their sights set on Chievo midfielder Emanuel Vignato, Atalanta star Ruslan Malinovskiy and Bournemouth’s 22-year-old Lewis Cook.Chelsea boss Frank Lampard is eager to bolster his ranks having been unable to make any signings since his appointment. TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
ST. JOHN’S, N.L. – The Supreme Court of Canada will be asked Tuesday to reopen a notoriously lopsided 1969 deal that has so far generated more than $27.5 billion for Hydro-Quebec, versus about $2 billion for Newfoundland and Labrador.Lawyer Doug Mitchell will argue the contract for the Churchill Falls hydro station in Labrador should be renegotiated to reflect vastly changed circumstances. He says negotiators almost 50 years ago could not have foreseen how energy markets would completely shift, allowing Hydro-Quebec to buy that power at cheap fixed prices then sell it for huge profits.The resulting disparity has fuelled a bitter feud between the two provinces.“It’s a landmark contract in Canadian legal history,” Mitchell said in an interview. “It’s also an important point in law that many jurisdictions are wrestling with: What do you do if there are unforeseen circumstances that change the equilibrium of the contract? Does the law do nothing or does the law do something?“It’s a topical issue in Quebec law and Canadian law more broadly — and, frankly, around the world.”At issue is whether partners in long-term deals are obligated by so-called good faith principles to adjust terms over time.Hydro-Quebec says it helped finance Churchill Falls in exchange for price guarantees that don’t expire until 2041.This latest bid to reopen the contract “presupposes the existence of a judicial power to review and amend contracts in the event of changed circumstances,” says Hydro-Quebec’s submission to the high court.“This right does not exist under Quebec civil law irrespective of whether one uses the term … good faith, duty to co-operate or abuse of right to describe it.”Under the 1969 terms, Hydro-Quebec agreed to buy almost all the energy from the Churchill Falls plant. The deal set a fixed price for that power that would decrease in stages over time.Various aspects of the contract have already been argued before the top court on different legal principles, twice, without success.This most recent challenge started when Churchill Falls (Labrador) Corp. Ltd. — whose parent company is Crown corporation Nalcor Energy — went to Quebec Superior Court in 2010. It argued that profits of such magnitude from electricity were unforeseen in 1969 and that Hydro-Quebec had a duty to renegotiate terms. It lost.The Quebec Court of Appeal upheld the 2014 lower court decision, agreeing the provincially owned power utility has no obligation to reopen the agreement.“It is inappropriate to re-examine the parties’ circumstances when they signed the contract,” ruled the five appeal court judges. “The uncontradicted evidence establishes that they knew that the price of hydroelectric power was subject to fluctuation but they voluntarily agreed to fix the price.”The decision also said the general principle of “good faith,” as found in Quebec’s civil code, doesn’t apply to Churchill Falls as the contract has remained “profitable” for Newfoundland.Mitchell argues the appeal court “applied a flawed standard of foreseeability that renders the concept essentially meaningless.”A decision from the Supreme Court is not expected for several months.Natural Resources Minister Siobhan Coady says a win could mean billions of dollars as Newfoundland and Labrador faces deficits and mounting debt. The oil price crash starting in 2014 was a major blow to provincial finances.“It’s very important,” Coady said. “There could be some remedies by the Supreme Court that will make a difference to this province.”Follow @suebailey on Twitter.
NEW YORK, N.Y. – Mercer International says it intends to voluntarily de-list from the Toronto Stock Exchange on June 11, about three months after it lost a six-year-old NAFTA battle with the Canadian government.The U.S.-based forest products company had mounted a $250-million claim against the Canadian government in early 2012.It alleged that BC Hydro and the B.C. Utilities Commission discriminated against Mercer’s power-generating operations at a pulp mill near Castlegar, B.C.However, a North American Free Trade Agreement tribunal ruled on March 6 that there had been no violation of the deal and it awarded Canada approximately $6.9 million in costs.Mercer says that its listing on the Nasdaq global select market will be unaffected by its delisting from the Toronto Stock Exchange.Companies in this story: (TSX:MERC.U)
New Delhi: The poll of polls of exit polls done by NDTV predicted 302 seats for the BJP-led NDA, 122 for the Congress-led UPA and 118 for “non-aligned” parties. The poll of polls predicted BJP making major gains in Odisha and West Bengal, two states where it has been relatively weak but where it put a lot of effort to gain ground. It predicted that the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) will win 10 seats in Odisha and 14 in West Bengal. Odisha’s ruling Biju Janata Dal (BJD), it said, was likely to win 10 seats while West Bengal’s ruling Trinamool Congress was predicted to win 26 seats. Also Read – India gets first tranche of Swiss account details under automatic exchange framework However, it predicted that the BJP-led NDA will suffer losses in Uttar Pradesh and will get 49 seats compared to 73 seats it won in 2014. The grand alliance of the Bahujan Samaj Party, the Samajwadi Party and the Rashtriya Lok Dal was poised to win 29 seats in the state while the Congress was likely to win only two seats. In Bihar, it predicted that the ruling NDA will sweep the polls winning 32 seats, while eight will be won by the Grand Alliance that includes the Rashtriya Janata Dal, Congress and other parties. Also Read – Afghan Taliban frees 3 Indian hostages in exchange for 11 top militant leaders: Reports The BJP-Shiv Sena combine was predicted to suffer some losses in Maharashtra where its tally is expected to come down from its 2014 tally of 42 to 36. The Congress-NCP combine, it said, was likely to win 11 seats in the state. The poll of polls predicted significant gains for the DMK-led front in Tamil Nadu, predicting that it will win 27 seats compared to 11 by the AIADMK-led front that includes the BJP. It predicted that the Congress-led UDF was poised to win 14 seats in Kerala while five seats would be won by the ruling LDF and one by the BJP. It predicted the BJP retaining its dominance in Gujarat, Rajasthan (it won all seats in the two states 2014) and Madhya Pradesh. The poll of polls projected that BJP is likely to win 24 seats in Madhya Pradesh, 23 in Gujarat and 22 in Rajasthan. The Congress is expected to win five in Madhya Pradesh and three each in Gujarat and Rajasthan, the poll of polls said. In Andhra Pradesh, it said that the Telugu Desam Party was poised to win 10 seats and the YSR Congress 15. In Chhattisgarh, it predicted that the BJP was poised to win six seats compared to five by the Congress. The poll of polls predicted the BJP almost repeating its performance in Haryana and Karnataka. It predicted eight seats out of 10 seats for BJP in Haryana and 19 in Karnataka and two and nine respectively for the Congress in the two states. The poll of polls said that the ruling TRS was likely to win 14 seats in Telangana, while two seats could be won by the Congress and one by the BJP. It predicted that Congress would win eight seats in Punjab and the SAD-BJP combine will win four and the AAP one. In Jharkhand, the tally is likely to be eight for the NDA and five for opposition alliance that includes the Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) and the Congress. In Delhi, the poll of polls predicted six seats for the BJP and one for the Congress.
The NCAA has fired Abigail Grantstein, who was the lead investigator in the Shabazz Muhammad case, according to CBSSports.com on Thursday.Grantstein’s firing comes a month after a woman informed the Los Angeles Times that she heard Grantstein’s boyfriend talking about the case on an airplane flight. Grantstein’s boyfriend mentioned how Muhammad would never be cleared to play for UCLA Bruins this season.Muhammad initially had been ruled ineligible to play at the start of the season and was forced to sit out the first three games of the season. The NCAA conducted an investigation about impermissible benefits the 6-foot-6 guard was determined to have accepted.During Grantstein’s lengthy investigation for the NCAA, they uncovered Muhammad had received travel expenses and lodging during two unofficial visits during his recruitment. Robert Orr, Muhammad’s attorney, said those visits were to North Carolina and Duke and were paid for by Benjamin Lincoln, a financial adviser and friend of Muhammad’s family.The three games that Muhammad sat out were deemed as his suspension after Bruins filed an appeal. His family also had to pay back about $1,600 dollars.“UCLA acknowledged amateurism violations occurred…” the NCAA said in a statement last month. “The university required the student-athlete to miss 10 percent of the season (three games) and repay approximately $1,600 in impermissible benefits.”Sources close to CBSSports.com reported that Grantstein’s job was on the line when they were made of known of Grantstein’s boyfriend conversation.Muhammad is a projected first-round lottery pick in June’s NBA Draft. He is currently averaging 17.8 points and 4.8 rebounds a game since his suspension.Grantstein was a member of the NCAA’s Basketball Focus Group and worked on the cases centered around the amateur status of elite prospects. She worked on the high-profiled case of Kansas’ Josh Shelby.The NCAA has yet to release a comment on the firing of Grantstein.