This year’s Varsity trip was blighted by a host of problems with transport, accommodation and social events.Some coaches en route to the destination in the Alpine resort of Tignes reportedly ended up at the wrong town, while other buses missed their ferry and had to wait in Dover.Once in the resort, students reported problems with rooms, cloakrooms running out of space, sporadic hot water, and the cancelling of shopping trips.The travel agency organising the trip told 180 students that they would not be able to access their rooms due to ‘refurbishment’. They were eventually put in new rooms, often without the friends they had arranged to stay with, some of which were located across town from the rest of the Oxbridge group.One St Hilda’s student claimed that “we didn’t get into our room for six hours” and that they did not know what was happening. They said that “the committee were apologetic, but they didn’t know what to do.”Several of the coaches making the half-day road trip from London arrived in the wrong town, due to a driver typing the wrong place name into his satellite navigation system. Instead of travelling via Bourg-Saint-Maurice, on the intended route to Tignes, several coaches arrived at Bourg-en-Bresse, a town almost 300 kilometres away.Three coaches from London missed their ferry crossing to France, meaning students had to wait in Dover.One Oriel student reported that “the coat check was shut down at the opening night,” which was “a big risk in terms of safety as a lot of people … came without jackets.” He said that trip organisers constantly stress the importance of taking jackets after a student died on a similar ski trip two years ago.Sam Kirsop, Logistics Director of the trip, said that while although the problems with accommodation were unfortunate, they were not the trip committee’s fault.“Unfortunately a French accommodation agency cancelled 25 rooms at the eleventh hour, completely out of the control of the Varsity Trip Committee and Event Travel Company. The vast majority of our 2,500 participants remained unaffected. Whilst this was frustrating for those involved, we had made it clear in all previous communication with participants that room allocations were provisional,” Kirsop said. “The committee phoned all those rooms affected by the changes to inform participants and find out their preferences for reallocation. Moreover, all participants were reallocated with room mates from their initial allocation and within the small resort of Tignes Val Claret, no more than a 3 minute walk to the slopes from any apartment block,” the Director said. Laura Abram, from the ski committee, told the Cambridge Tab newspaper that “Everyone on the committee worked very hard to sort the problem out.”2,500 people from Oxford and Cambridge attended the 87th Varsity Trip this year, making it the world’s largest student snow sports trip. Most of these people paid £329 for the 7 day package, not including extras such as ski hire or lessons.
The first anniversary of the Ballybofey Alzheimer’s Café will be celebrated this month in the Villa Rose Hotel.The cafe has brought comfort, joy and support to many local people since it began in September 2018.Since then, the Café has met on the third Wednesday of every month from 11 am – 1 pm. The Café will celebrate its first anniversary on the 21st August 2019 and would like to invite any person who is living with Dementia and their carers, family members or friends to join the party.The first Alzheimer’s Café was started in the Netherlands in 1997 by Dr. Bere Miesen. The Alzheimer’s Café is more than just a “social outing”; it’s a gathering of people affected by or interested in Dementia.The monthly gatherings are for the purpose of education, discussions, exchanging information about Dementia and the opportunities to socialise and meet others. Attending the Alzheimer’s Café is free of charge. People can come and go as they please, just like at any café.Anyone who attends the Alzheimer’s Café can receive support, information, education about Dementia, and meet others in similar circumstances. They also meet professionals knowledgeable about Dementia, members of the local Alzheimer’s Society or any other Dementia Support Group. People can converse, listen to one of the themed talks and enjoy refreshments and music.Anyone living with Dementia, irrespective of what stage their illness is at are invited to attend the café.The aim of the Alzheimer’s Café is to help reduce the stigma about living with Dementia, providing an opportunity for learning more about the condition, for providing information, practical support and opportunities for questioning and interacting.Over the last year of the Donegal cafe, various professionals have delivered talks, engaged in discussions and Q&A sessions with people living with Dementia and their carers.People have attended from their own homes, but also from Nursing and Residential Homes.No one with an interest in Dementia is excluded, in fact they are warmly welcomed. Over the past year talks have been delivered by a Psychologist, Occupational Therapist, Social Worker, Dietician, Bank Officials, to name but a few. The owners of the Villa Rose Hotel, Tommy and Bridget Gallen have been extremely supportive in maintaining the Alzheimer’s Café. Their staff always provide a very warm and welcoming setting, providing tea, coffee and homemade scones.The Café will celebrate its 1st anniversary on 21st August 2019 with a party. Anyone who is living with Dementia, their carers, families or friends are more than welcome to attend and see for themselves the positive impact the café has had on our community. The setting will be informal with song and dance and light refreshments. The Café also welcomes any volunteers who have an interest in Dementia and who like to become involved.If anyone requires further information or has any queries please contact Fergus Sweeney on (074) 9189021 or Patricia McGinty on (087) 9271734Positive impact of Ballybofey Alzheimer’s Café to be celebrated at special event was last modified: August 4th, 2019 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Alzheimer cafeBallybofeyTea
In the meantime, Mr. Montague said 833 illegal guns have been seized by the police since the start of the year. The Ministry of National Security is spending $11.7 million to refurbish facilities at the Canine Division of the Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF). Speaking at a press conference at the Office of the Police Commissioner on December 19, Mr. Montague said the dogs have been properly vaccinated, but are currently being quarantined. Story Highlights The Ministry of National Security is spending $11.7 million to refurbish facilities at the Canine Division of the Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF).Speaking at a press conference at the Office of the Police Commissioner on December 19, Mr. Montague said the dogs have been properly vaccinated, but are currently being quarantined.He noted that an additional seven dogs that can detect firearms have also been bought and are currently in Florida, United States, where they are being trained.In the meantime, Mr. Montague said 833 illegal guns have been seized by the police since the start of the year.The Minister pointed out that over 700 of these guns do not have a ballistic history in Jamaica, “signifying that they are new weapons that entered the country”.“We are working on many fronts to confront this monster; therefore, we are introducing more dogs, more technology and more resources,” he said.
VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer holds dual Canadian and U.S. citizenship.He is now in the process of renouncing that citizenship, he says, but so far, there has been no confirmation from the United States that it has officially been renounced.Scheer’s father is an American, and Scheer and his sisters received their U.S. passports as children. The Globe and Mail, which first reported the story, said he let his American passport lapse and attempted to renounce it before the election writ dropped.Conservative Leader @AndrewScheer is speaking in Nova Scotia. Asked why it took so long for his dual Canadian-US citizenship to come to light, Scheer says no one asked about it #cdnpoli #elxn43— Cormac Mac Sweeney (@cmaconthehill) October 3, 2019In Nova Scotia on Thursday he defended himself for not publicly declaring his citizenship in the past, despite being a Member of Parliament for 15 years and speaker of the House of Commons.“No one’s ever asked me before about it,” he said. “Like millions of Canadians, one of my parents was born in another country.”Brock Harrison, Scheer’s Director of Communications for the campaign, said the leader has not voted in any American elections.“Once Mr. Scheer became leader of the Conservative Party of Canada, he decided he would renounce his US citizenship before the election,” Harrison said in a statement. “He has submitted his paperwork and is currently waiting for confirmation from the embassy that he is no longer a dual-citizen.”Scheer asked if he becomes PM he would have access to national security documents that would be for Canadian eyes only. As a dual citizen, would he have access & how would that impact his job? Says he’s submitted his forms to renounce US citizenship & waiting to hear back #elxn43— Cormac Mac Sweeney (@cmaconthehill) October 3, 2019Former Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Scheer himself have both, in the past, been critical of politicians who were also citizens of another country.In previous years, Liberal Stephane Dion, New Democrat Thomas Mulcair and former Governor General Michaelle Jean all came under fire from the Conservatives for holding dual passports with France. In 2015, Harper called himself “a Canadian and only a Canadian.”The Globe and Mail reports Scheer has been paying American taxes, which is the law.
Iman Shumpert has been rapping since he was a fledgling, so when asked about other “NBA rappers” he wasn’t very impressed. For example, Shumpert had this to say about one of the NBA’s most notable MCs-Metta World Peace, “Oh, he’s horrible. He is horrible.”Shumpert has a theory, “There’s a difference between guys who rap and ‘NBA rappers’.”In the video, Shumpert takes a moment to explain why “NBA rappers” are so bad and why he proclaims himself the best rapper in the league.
July 20, 2018 , Suspect shot in Del Mar after pursuit ends in crash Updated: 10:13 AM Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter Posted: July 20, 2018 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) – A suspected drunk driver was shot by sheriff’s deputies after leading them on a pursuit across North County freeways Friday night, the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department said Saturday.The driver, whose name was not released, was shot in the upper torso and taken to a local hospital, where he remained in stable condition, according to Lt. Anthony Dupree of the San Diego Police Department, which is investigating the incident.A deputy had tried to pull the man over in Vista near the intersection of Poinsettia Avenue and Linda Vista Drive just before 8:45 p.m. Friday when he took off, Dupree said.The driver headed north on surface streets and entered westbound state Route 78 at Sycamore Avenue, then continued onto southbound Interstate 5, at times reaching speeds in excess of 100 mph.During the pursuit, the driver called 911 and told the dispatcher he had a loaded handgun, a female passenger was in the car with him, and he wanted to commit “suicide by cop,” Dupree said.The driver exited I-5 at Leucadia Boulevard and let his passenger out of the car before continuing to flee from officers back onto the freeway. He exited again at Carmel Valley Road and drove west, then veered south onto the Torrey Preserve marsh, driving for about 200 yards before coming to a stop. The area is within San Diego city limits.The driver got out of the car and began advancing toward deputies, who gave him “verbal commands,” Dupree said.“The suspect kept his right hand behind his back and at one point quickly pointed something at the deputies while taking a shooting stance,” leading deputies to fire at the man, Dupree said.The suspect was struck in the upper torso and was taken into custody. Deputies gave the man first aid until paramedics were able to take him to a hospital, Dupree said.The deputies involved in the shooting are a 5-year veteran and a 2- year veteran of the San Diego Sheriff’s Department, Dupree said.