COAST Guard officials had to go to the aid of a tourist again today – after he was badly bitten by a dog.It’s the first reported incident of its kind in Malin Head this year.But it follows several incidents in the same area last year when FOUR tourists were bitten in separate incidents. That sparked a Garda probe.In a statement today, the Irish Coast Guard had to warn tourists going to Malin Head to be particularly careful.“People should be aware of this incident and several other incidents last year,” said a spokesperson.Tourists have been flocking to Ireland’s most northerly point this year – especially since more than 40 dolphins have taken up residence in the waters off the local beach. It brings to five the known number of incidents involving foreign visitors to the area.In August last year a Spanish tourist had to be taken to hospital after suffering horrific bite injuries.Then two Italian tourists ran to the Coast Guard station for help after also being attacked.That followed an incident last July in which Belgian tourist arrived in Malin town seeking help. He had horrendous leg injuries after being mauled.Gardai are probing the latest attack. Dolphins in the water at Malin head today. Tourists have been flocking there to see them.ANGER AS ANOTHER TOURIST SAVAGED BY A DOG AT MALIN HEAD was last modified: July 25th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:bitecoast guarddog attackdolphinsdonegaldonegal daily newsInishowen NewsMalin Headrescue
At an ‘Internet kiosk’ in South Kashmir, 24-year-old Mohammad Ubair has been trying to download admit card for the past 30 minutes. Mr. Ubair, a postgraduate in zoology had applied for an online test conducted by the Staff Selection Commission (SSC) for a government job. He travelled 10 km from his village to the deputy commissioner’s office in Shopian to download the admit card. “It is frustrating, as the server is slow. It takes almost an hour to fill one form. I missed the CBI exam as there was no Internet for more than a month anywhere in the vicinity and I could not apply on time,” said Mr. Ubair clutching a plastic folder containing the requisite documents.He said he was shortlisted for the post of security assistant in the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) but couldn’t appear for the tests as he didn’t have access to the Internet.‘Malicious’ postsThe Kashmir Valley has been put under unprecedented communication blockade since August 5 when Home Minister Amit Shah moved two Bills to revoke J&K’s special status under Article 370 and bifurcate and the downgrade the State into two Union Territories.Mobile phone connectivity and Internet services have remained snapped for more than 50 days now amid fears that Pakistan might fuel unrest in the region through “malicious” posts on social media and other messaging platforms.To help students, the administration has set up Internet kiosks in the offices of deputy commissioner in all the ten districts of Kashmir division. Mobile Internet has been snapped in Jammu region also, but broadband Internet services are available. An official claimed that at least 45 Internet-enabled computers were active in Srinagar and around 200 in the rest of the Valley.Most Internet kiosks have access to only government approved websites. The National Informatics Centre (NIC) in Jammu approves the list of websites that can be accessed on the computers installed at the DC office.Safety precautionsAt a kiosk in Shopian, search engine Google could be accessed only on three computers run by government officials and that was not available to the general public. “The Jammu office monitors all the websites and tracks the Internet Protocol (IP) addresses that are being accessed from computers here. Firewalls are in place and adequate precautions are taken so that Internet is not used for any nefarious purposes,” an official explained.Principal Secretary Planning (J&K) Rohit Kansal said resources have been dedicated for use by the public. “A large number of students are using these [kiosks] for educational activities like downloading admit cards, accessing scholarship portals and filling forms, among other things,” he told The Hindu.Shabbir Mushtaq (24), a B.Tech from National Institute of Technology (NIT), Srinagar, has visited the DC office twice in the past two days. “The first day I came to check if Internet was working, I applied online for an exam. Since there is no mobile connectivity here, I could not get the One-Time Password on my phone. I had to call a friend in Delhi and share his number in the form to pay the fee. It takes almost an hour to load a website, speed is extremely slow,” said Mr. Mushtaq, who had come from Herman village, 14 km away.A senior J&K government official said in the wake of physical limitations, the available resources have to be distributed among a large number of people.
Read Next Calvin Abueva. Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netJust a week removed from the national team pool, Calvin Abueva made a shock appearance in Gilas Pilipinas’ fourth Monday evening practice at Meralco Gym.Alaska’s energizer bunny showed up for the first time to join the squad, but it’s unclear if he has already hashed things out with Reyes.ADVERTISEMENT John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding Globe Business launches leading cloud-enabled and hardware-agnostic conferencing platform in PH MOST READ Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa Slow and steady hope for near-extinct Bangladesh tortoises Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH 2 ‘newbie’ drug pushers fall in Lucena sting NEXT BLOCK ASIA 2.0 introduces GURUS AWARDS to recognize and reward industry influencers Also making his first appearance is “23-for-23” cadet and Ateneo Blue Eaglet Kai Sotto.Present from the cadet pool were Thirdy Ravena, Isaac Go, Matt Nieto, CJ Perez, Robert Bolick, Javee Mocon, Paul Desiderio, Juan Gomez de Liaño, J-Jay Alejandro, Abu Tratter, Jeo Ambohot, Arvin Tolentino, Kenneth Tuffin, and Will Gozum.Joshua Sinclair, who is recovering from an ACL injury, and Ricci Rivero also watched the practice at the sidelines.Nigerians Ola Adeogun and Eugene Toba of San Beda and Chibueze Ikeh of Ateneo also helped in the preparations.The Philippines will take on Australia at Margaret Court Arena in Melbourne on February 22, before flying back home to battle Japan at Mall of Asia Arena on February 25.ADVERTISEMENT Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Publico nails winner as Wangs-Letran shocks Che’Lu-San Sebastian LATEST STORIES Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Last week, Reyes announced that he decided to cut Abueva along with Raymond Almazan for the second window of the 2019 Fiba World Cup Asian qualifiers for missing the first three practices.Unlike Abueva, Almazan did not show up as he was the lone absentee from the current pool.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutJayson Castro bannered the 34 men who participated in the session, together with current pool members Gabe Norwood, Troy Rosario, Allein Maliksi, Kevin Alas, Roger Pogoy, Jio Jalalon, Mac Belo, Matthew Wright, Carl Bryan Cruz, and Kiefer Ravena.June Mar Fajardo and Japeth Aguilar, who both had games on Sunday, sat out the session. View comments
VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer holds dual Canadian and U.S. citizenship.He is now in the process of renouncing that citizenship, he says, but so far, there has been no confirmation from the United States that it has officially been renounced.Scheer’s father is an American, and Scheer and his sisters received their U.S. passports as children. The Globe and Mail, which first reported the story, said he let his American passport lapse and attempted to renounce it before the election writ dropped.Conservative Leader @AndrewScheer is speaking in Nova Scotia. Asked why it took so long for his dual Canadian-US citizenship to come to light, Scheer says no one asked about it #cdnpoli #elxn43— Cormac Mac Sweeney (@cmaconthehill) October 3, 2019In Nova Scotia on Thursday he defended himself for not publicly declaring his citizenship in the past, despite being a Member of Parliament for 15 years and speaker of the House of Commons.“No one’s ever asked me before about it,” he said. “Like millions of Canadians, one of my parents was born in another country.”Brock Harrison, Scheer’s Director of Communications for the campaign, said the leader has not voted in any American elections.“Once Mr. Scheer became leader of the Conservative Party of Canada, he decided he would renounce his US citizenship before the election,” Harrison said in a statement. “He has submitted his paperwork and is currently waiting for confirmation from the embassy that he is no longer a dual-citizen.”Scheer asked if he becomes PM he would have access to national security documents that would be for Canadian eyes only. As a dual citizen, would he have access & how would that impact his job? Says he’s submitted his forms to renounce US citizenship & waiting to hear back #elxn43— Cormac Mac Sweeney (@cmaconthehill) October 3, 2019Former Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Scheer himself have both, in the past, been critical of politicians who were also citizens of another country.In previous years, Liberal Stephane Dion, New Democrat Thomas Mulcair and former Governor General Michaelle Jean all came under fire from the Conservatives for holding dual passports with France. In 2015, Harper called himself “a Canadian and only a Canadian.”The Globe and Mail reports Scheer has been paying American taxes, which is the law.
Junior guard Sam Thompson takes a shot during a game against Penn State Jan. 29 at the Schottenstein Center. OSU lost, 71-70.Credit: Shelby Lum / Photo editorThad Matta just needed somebody to hug.After Wisconsin sophomore forward Sam Dekker’s last-second heave clanged off the rim Saturday at the Kohl Center, signaling a victory for Ohio State, the jubilation on the Buckeye sideline was clear.The man Matta grabbed was the team’s video coordinator, Jake Diebler, and OSU’s coach said Monday it was because Diebler was the closest guy to him.“He was the first guy I could find,” Matta said with a laugh. “Because I had the line on Dekker’s shot, and I thought it was off to the right and I’ll be honest, I’ve seen what these guys have done. I’ve seen what the staff has done to get us ready to play that game and it was obvious with the ending the other night (against Penn State Wednesday), there was a sense of excitement, a sense of relief.”The sense of relief Matta felt after the 59-58 victory over the Badgers percolated throughout the rest of the team, but senior guard Aaron Craft said it’s not the time to sit back and be satisfied, especially with the Buckeyes set to visit No. 17 Iowa (17-5, 6-3) Tuesday at 7 p.m.“We got a big win the other day, and we don’t want to rest on that either,” Craft said Monday. “Our biggest focus right now is to find a way to be better than Iowa. Everything else will really take care of itself the more we go on.”The Hawkeyes came to Columbus and handed the Buckeyes (17-5, 4-5) their first home loss of the season Jan. 12, a 84-74 outcome where OSU struggled against Iowa’s zone defense.OSU committed 17 turnovers in that loss, something Craft said cannot happen Tuesday.“We just can’t turn the ball over. That’s what cost us the game the first time,” Craft said. “We had the lead, and turned the ball over quite a few times down the stretch … When they’re at their best, they’re getting buckets in transition, getting fouled, getting to the free throw line. That’s what we can’t do if we want to be in it at the end of the game.”Junior forward Sam Thompson, who got his first start of the season in the win against Wisconsin in place of junior guard Shannon Scott, agreed and said in order to figure out the zone, the team just needs a different mindset.“I think it’s just about our mindset on the offensive end against the zone. Last time we played Iowa, we didn’t do a good job of attacking that zone, we really let that zone dictate the way we played on offense,” Thompson said Monday. “We were sort of playing on our heels, moving the ball from side to side and not really looking to attack.”The Buckeyes — who dropped out of the top 25 rankings for the first time since Jan. 2010, when the latest poll was released Monday — also allowed 44 points in the paint against Iowa in the Jan. 12 loss. Fixing that issue isn’t just on one guy either, Craft said.“It’s a team defensive effort. They do a good job of setting good screens and getting guys in the paint, whether it’s tight curling or driving the ball off that,” Craft said. “They’re gonna score in the paint, that’s kind of their MO this year. They score in the paint and they get to the free throw line. So we need to find ways that we can hopefully minimize that as much as possible and not get down or not get frustrated when they do maybe go through a stretch where that happens. You have to find a way to get to the next play and move on.”It is clear OSU is going to need an entire team effort to leave Iowa City with a victory and to win back-to-back games for the first time since starting the season 15-0. Solving the riddle against Wisconsin was a start, Matta said, and continuing it won’t be easy.“That is the plan,” Matta said about getting a few wins in a row. “It’s a lot easier said than done, reeling a couple off. We went in, we won a tough game. You think about the game before that comes down to the last shot, this one comes down to the last shot. I’d love to not be in that position — it’s making me old, but it is what it is … I liked the energy that we had in huddles, down the stretch guys talking saying ‘We gotta do this, we’ve been here before.’ You hope you can build on that.”