Hunt for prison escapeesJoint Services ranks conducted a military operation in the D’Urban Backlands area in Georgetown on Sunday afternoon, as they continue to hunt for the five Camp Street Prison escapees who fled the penitentiary following a fire last week.The search was reportedly promoted after information surfaced that wanted men Cobena “OJ” Stephens and Cornelius Thomas were suspected to be hiding out in the area.Residents of the backlands were on edge as the Joint Services ranks swooped through several sections of the community. As the law enforcement operation ensued, a few armed ranks were stationed outside the family home of President David Granger as other ranks who were not taking any chances conducted a search of the premises to ensure that no trespasser was present there. All the while, a GDF helicopter was making the rounds, circling the D’Urban Backlands area before it returned to Camp Ayanganna around 13:30h.Additionally, the ranks hopped into several pick-up trucks and raced through Mandela Avenue, before turning east into Joseph Pollydore Street (the lower end of D’Urban Street) before combing two premises in the Lodge area. Shortly afterwards, ranks ended the operations there and accelerated through D’Urban Street.Sunday’s exercise follows the successful recapture of 27-year-old Desmond James, a gold miner who was charged in 2014 for allegedly killing Glendon Cox on September 1, 2014, at Four Miles Arakaka Backdam, North West District (NWD). The accused was remanded at Camp Street Prison for the crime, but escaped following Sunday afternoon’s fire, which was said to be the brainchild of convicted Bartica Massacre gang member Mark Royden Durant, called “Smallie”, also known as Royden Williams. James was nabbed by D Division (West Demerara) Police in an abandoned shack in an access dam at Canal Number One late Friday evening. At the time of his recapture, the escapee was found in possession of a knife and a few pieces of clothing. He had told investigators that he was heading to Essequibo. From reports received, the man had a haircut with the intention of disguising himself.GDF ranks got into action combing through the D’Urban Backlands areaIn February 2017, “Smallie”, along with accomplice Dennis “Anaconda” Williams, was sentenced to death for the February 12, 2008 massacre at Bartica during which 12 people, including three Policemen, were slaughtered as gunman created mayhem in that community.Durant; ex-cop Uree Varswyck, also known as Malcolm Gordon; and Stafrei Hopkinson Alexander were reportedly hiding out in the East Coast Demerara backlands. Varswyck was implicated in a robbery-murder at Sterling Products Limited. Alexander was accused of being involved in the April 2015 shooting to death of One Mile, Linden businesswoman Shevon Gordon, who was killed near her home. Alexander is not a first-time prison escapee. In December 2015, he, along with an accomplice, smashed through a concrete wall to gain their freedom while being held at the Mackenzie Police Station. Meanwhile, double murder accused Shamedeen Mohamed, charged with killing two pensioners, was found disguised in women’s clothing at his Tuschen, East Bank Essequibo residence last Monday night. Police had, however, claimed that he was not one of the listed escapees despite earlier reports suggesting that he had jumped off the truck while being transferred from the razed Camp Street penitentiary.During last Sunday’s jailbreak and fire, which flattened the Camp Street facility, several prison officers were attacked and injured by inmates. One officer, 33-year-old Odinga Wickham, succumbed to multiple gunshot wounds.
0Shares0000Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba insists racist abuse only makes him stronger © AFP / Lindsey ParnabyLONDON, United Kingdom, Aug 25 – Paul Pogba says he is ready to fight against racist abuse after the Manchester United star and his team-mate Marcus Rashford were subjected to social media taunts following their penalty misses.Pogba was the target of racial slurs on Twitter when his penalty was saved by Wolves goalkeeper Rui Patricio in Monday’s 1-1 draw. Then United striker Rashford suffered racist abuse online after hitting the post with a penalty in Saturday’s shock 2-1 defeat against Crystal Palace.Chelsea striker Tammy Abraham and Reading’s Yakou Meite were also recently targeted by social media trolled and World Cup winner Pogba has had enough.The 26-year-old insists he will use the jibes as fuel to step up the fight against racists.“My ancestors and my parents suffered for my generation to be free today, to work, to take the bus, to play football,” Pogba wrote on his Instagram account on Sunday.“Racist insults are ignorance and can only make me stronger and motivate me to fight for the next generation.”During the Palace match at Old Trafford, United fans unveiled a banner reading ‘United against racism’.Rashford had tweeted in support of Pogba after the Wolves games, saying: “Enough now, this needs to stop Twitter. Manchester United is a family. Paul Pogba is a huge part of that family. You attack him you attack us all.”United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer condemned both incidents involving his players.“It’s the same we spoke about before the weekend. It’s unheard of and we need it to stop, it needs to stop,” Solskjaer said.“I’m just lost for words if it keeps going. We keep having all these campaigns ‘No to Racism’ and it keeps hiding behind fake identities. It’s just crazy that we talk about this in 2019.”Pogba’s message was accompanied by a photograph showing him holding his baby alongside portraits of his late father Fassou Antoine and civil rights activist Martin Luther King,Marcus Rashford became the latest player to become the target of racist trolls after missing a penalty kick © AFP / Lindsey ParnabyTwitter said on Wednesday that they will meet with United, Kick It Out (anti-discrimination organisation within football) and any other civil society stakeholders to discuss the problem.Twitter claim to have already permanently suspended a series of accounts as a result of the racist posts.Anti-discrimination campaigners Kick It Out have also called for action.“The vile racist abuse on social media continued today. This problem will not go away and needs decisive action – that’s what we’ll be making clear to Twitter when we meet,” Kick It Out said on Saturday.“Without immediate and the strongest possible action, these cowardly acts will continue to grow.”0Shares0000(Visited 20 times, 1 visits today)
latest tense Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Ndidi bid, targets named, Ozil is ‘skiving little git’ Green reveals how he confronted Sarri after Chelsea’s 6-0 defeat at Man City gameday cracker Boxing Day fixtures: All nine Premier League games live on talkSPORT Lloris makes the long walk back to the tunnel after being sent off Gerrard launches furious touchline outburst as horror tackle on Barisic sparks chaos On matchday two against Barcelona, he inexplicably charged at the feet of Luis Suarez who calmly pulled the ball back for Philippe Coutinho to score.And on Wednesday night, the France skipper crudely brought down Chelsea target Hirving Lozano as PSV claimed a late draw to leave Spurs’ European ambitions clinging on by a thread.And Preece, who now works as a commentator and goalkeeping expert, admits the problem lies with the 31-year-old’s judgement.“You look in these situations and you try to find out what the core of it is,” Preece explained on the Hawksbee and Jacobs Show. 4 “But the other part of the game is to come out of his box and to clear things before they get to become a problem.“But at the moment, that judgement is off. Looking at it for me, I can’t see much technically wrong it, his positions are fine.“But when it comes to making those decisions, they are totally wrong and it’s not even close.” 4 LATEST 4 BEST OF On his day, there are few better in the world – something which teammate Kieran Trippier acknowledged after the Frenchman made several key saves to deny West Ham United an equaliser on Saturday.The problem however, lies in his decision-making and not his ability.Preece continued: “He just needs to sort of sit back in and go with his instincts because he is a keeper who is on two ends of the scale.“He works a lot from his goal line so when he is making saves; he’s very close to his goal line so he is very deep in his goal. “So you maybe look at his starting position. Now, from what I can see, it’s not really that different, it’s purely just on the judgement of the ball as it is passed forward.“Now this season, especially in the two games against Barcelona and PSV, they’re just two balls that are in nobody’s right mind for him to come for.“They are in the path of the player in question, there’s no danger, there’s players covering – he has no purpose at all in that scenario.”Although Lloris lifted the World Cup with France in Russia, it was his mistake which allowed Mario Mandzukic to score in the Final against Croatia. Hirving Lozano was clattered by Lloris Liverpool news live: Klopp reveals when Minamino will play and issues injury update Hugo Lloris has been slammed for his ‘totally wrong’ judgement in games by goalkeeping expert David Preece.The Tottenham Hotspur No.1 has made two fatal errors in the Champions League so far, which have directly resulted in goals. The average first-team salaries at every Premier League club in 2019 Most Popular Football News 4 revealed scrap The goalkeeper protests his innocence after rushing out Every time Ally McCoist lost it on air in 2019, including funny XI reactions Lloris looks on in despair as Mandzukic scores in the World Cup Final