Despite Ghana’s drawn game with Guinea in an AFCON qualifier on Saturday, former Black Stars captain, Charles Kwabena Akunnor believes it is not the end of the road for the national team. In his opinion, the team still has what it takes to hoist Ghana’s flag in Morocco.“Sometimes things don’t turn out the way you planned. I have seen many of such moments in my football career. At such times, I have learnt never to give up. This team is passing through a phase and I know they have what it takes to weather through the storms,”Akunnor said.The ex-international however opines that the onus is on the players to negotiate their way out of the current situation.“I have no doubt in the quality of players in the national team. They have to talk to themselves and find a solution. At times like this, the players’ motivation is key. You know in Brazil, we failed to qualify from the group, we made up our mind to win the trophy against all odds. Now that the odds are against the team, the players should resolve to go all the way. I have no doubt that Ghana would win the trophy in Morocco. The boys just have to dig deep and find the inner strength,” he added.
Spencer Ware wants to keep playing, plans to reach injury settlement with Colts In late July, Reich told reporters that seeing Kevin Durant suffer an injury in the NBA Finals had influenced his thinking on how to bring Luck back up to speed. Durant tore his Achilles in his first game back after missing a month with a calf injury.”We didn’t really talk about it, but I think we all knew it,” Reich said of Durant’s injury (via the Indianapolis Star). “I was certainly thinking it. When you see something like that happen, you’re like, ‘Oh yeah, that’s why we do what we’re doing.'” The Colts continue being cautious with quarterback Andrew Luck and his strained calf.Coach Frank Reich told reporters Luck will sit out practices Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Colts claim running back D’Onta Foreman off waivers “Continuing to progress with his strength, still a degree of pain that he’s not comfortable with,” Reich said (via 1070 The Fan). “Obviously we’re not comfortable with putting him out there. We’re going to continue to work with our medical staff on the plan moving forward.”The 29-year-old quarterback strained his calf this spring and missed the Colts’ OTAs and minicamp, although Reich said in June he would have been able to play if there were a game. Related News Luck has participated in three training camp practices, all as a limited participant, and said he feels as if something would pull when he moves a certain way. According to NFL.com, Luck’s status has led the Colts to consider carrying three quarterbacks on the roster to open the season.
San Jose Earthquakes general manager, John Doyle, says Jamaica midfielder Simon Dawkins will be a key to their offence in the 2016 Major League Soccer (MLS) season.Dawkins is rejoining the club from Derby County after three seasons in the English Premier League and Championship.Doyle sees the Jamaican, who has a club record of the most goals by a midfielder in two seasons (14) as a key element.”We’re delighted to welcome Simon back,” Doyle said in a team statement. “He has a tremendous amount of experience in England as well as internationally. Simon is a proven player in Major League Soccer and helped the club win the Supporters’ Shield in 2012. He will be a key part of our attack,” Doyle insisted in a report on the Major League Soccer website.Dawkins spent the last two years with English Championship side, Derby County, scoring nine goals in 73 appearances. He also spent time at Tottenham and Aston Villa. He has 20 caps for the Jamaican national team, scoring three goals. His most recent international cap came in Jamaica’s crucial 2-1 World Cup qualifying win over Nicaragua in that country on September 9 last year.Dawkins is just one of two Earthquakes players to score six or more goals in consecutive seasons since the club’s return to Major League Soccer in 2008. He is also the only midfielder in the club’s history to score 14 or more goals over a two-year period.
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! DALLAS (AP) – A recently discovered home movie shows a brief but clear glimpse of President Kennedy and first lady Jacqueline Kennedy just seconds before his assassination. The silent, 8 mm color film is “the clearest, best film of Jackie in the motorcade,” said Gary Mack, curator of the Sixth Floor Museum, which focuses on Kennedy’s life and assassination. The film was unveiled Monday on the museum’s Web site. The film shows a clear glimpse of President Kennedy and the first lady a few blocks from Dealey Plaza and roughly 90 seconds before the killing. Also visible is Secret Service agent Clint Hill riding on the back of the car. The assassination is not shown in the 40-second clip. The film ends with some footage the next day outside the Texas School Book Depository, the building from which assassin Lee Harvey Oswald fired the fatal shots on Nov. 22, 1963. Amateur photographer George Jefferies, 82, took the footage and held onto it for more than 40 years, Mack said. Jefferies mentioned it in a casual conversation with his son-in-law, Wayne Graham, and the two agreed to donate it to the museum. At least 150,000 people lined the motorcade route, and Mack said he believes there are more film and photographs out there. “I know there are pictures out here that have not surfaced,” Mack said. “The museum is always on the lookout for pictures. The bottom line is don’t throw anything away.”