To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
Security officers stand at the site of a suicide bombing in Ndjamena, Chad, on Monday. Photo: Reuters Chad’s military says it has carried out airstrikes on Boko Haram positions in neighbouring Nigeria to avenge twin suicide bombings in Chad’s capital that were blamed on the extremist group. The military says its helicopters have struck at least six bases in Nigeria used by the Islamist militant group Boko Haram. Earlier Chad said it had arrested at least five suspects in connection to the suicide bombings that killed 34 people.The country has also banned religious burqas- a garment covering the whole body from head to feet worn by Muslim women. Monday’s attacks were the first of their kind in Chad and appeared to be retaliation by Boko Haram for Chad’s leading role in an offensive against the militants.Security officers stand at the site of a suicide bombing in Ndjamena, Chad, on Monday. Photo: ReutersChad said Thursday its military carried out retaliatory airstrikes against Boko Haram militants in neighboring Nigeria after a pair of suicide bombings earlier this week in the Chadian capital that killed at least 33 people. The military said in a statement that the airstrikes targeted six militant camps and caused “considerable human and material losses.” There were no details on where exactly the strikes took place. Monday’s deadly blasts happened at a police headquarters and police academy in N’Djamena where more than 100 people were also injured.Prime Minister Kalzeube Pahimi Deubet said Wednesday that in response to the attacks the government was banning the wearing and sale of burqas in the country. Chad, along with Niger and Cameroon, deployed troops earlier this year to fight Boko Haram after the militants launched a series of cross-border attacks. Last week, those countries joined Nigeria and Benin in announcing a new regional task force headquartered in N’Djamena to counter the militants.
Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina Bicol riders extend help to Taal evacuees He said: “Arum is talking about Lucas Matthysse. Look, we have a fight with Pacquiao coming up within three weeks. He’s looking strong. He’s looking great. Looking forward to it and the fight is in full steam ahead.”Here at home, commercials on the KL championship have started appearing on television over the weekend.Pacquiao himself said there’ll be no stopping the fight.“I’m trying my best with the help of God to make the fight a success. I also pray for my detractors that God may enlighten their minds and soften their hearts,” Pacquiao said.When doubts were raised over the KL championship, Pacquiao made it clear he’s in direct communication with Matthysse and that they were both very excited about their title bout.ADVERTISEMENT Taal victims get help from Kalayaan town It was reported that MP Promotions has paid Matthysse $500,000 as part of the agreed $2.5 million purse.The money was supposed to be deposited in escrow a month back yet. But boxing people in the know said MP Promotions will have until the weigh-in to deliver the full purse.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ We have a fight.”Legendary Oscar de la Hoya stated that firmly to quash rumors about the world welterweight championship fight between Manny Pacquiao and Lucas Matthysse in Kuala Lumpur not taking place.ADVERTISEMENT Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding Cloudy skies over Luzon due to amihan The championship is slated on July 15 and De La Hoya said he will be in Kuala Lumpur to help Pacquiao promote the event.“I have my plane tickets already, so we’re ready to go,” he told Steve Kim of BoxingScene.com.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownDe La Hoya did not have to go out of his way to affirm the staging of the championship. But Bob Arum fanned rumors about the event being canceled due to some financial hassles and the MP Promotions’ failure to meet money commitment deadlines.De La Hoya, who handles Matthysse, is an identified partner of Pacquiao in the KL promotion. LATEST STORIES Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew MOST READ Christopher Tolkien, son of Lord of the Rings author, dies aged 95 Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Pacquiao floors sparmate Jury of 7 men, 5 women selected for Harvey Weinstein rape trial Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View comments
Jim McGuinness has sensationally stepped down as Donegal manager.Jim McGuinness has stepped down as Donegal manager.It is understood the Glenties man texted all the players individually to inform them of his decision.No statement has yet been released by the All-Ireland winning manager. But a tweet on the official Donegal GAA twitter and Facebook accounts confirmed the news this evening.McGuiness had just completed a fourth year at the helm of managing Donegal.Many felt he may stay on as Donegal manager for perhaps a fifth year after his side were beaten by Kerry in the All-Ireland final recently.However, it now appears that the search is now on for a manager to replace the most successful manager in Donegal GAA history. The following is the official statement on the Donegal GAA website.CLG Dhún na nGall wish to announce that Jim McGuinness has formally stepped down from his position as Senior Football Team Manager with immediate effect.CLG Dhún na nGall wish to thank Jim for his massive contribution during his tenure over the last five years, as Under 21 and Senior Football Team Manager.During this term, he has brought unprecedented success to our county and has made every Donegal person across the globe very proud of their county and their players.During his tenure he has guided our Under 21 footballers to an All-Ireland final, having won the county’s first U21 provincial title since 1995. As senior team manager, he guided the county to four provincial finals, winning three of them, and guided the county team to a record two All-Ireland final appearances in the space of three years, winning a historic second All Ireland for the county in 2012.We wish Jim and Yvonne and their family every success in the future.BREAKING NEWS: JIM McGUINNESS STEPS DOWN AS DONEGAL MANAGER was last modified: October 4th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:donegalJim McGuinness